My LED taillight panels... which version should I use??

Tried2Live said:
Yeah, those are the exact ones I was using. Parts Express finally (After 1.5 weeks of waiting) informed me they aren't getting any more of them, so I had to order them elsewhere.

Seems that the 2200mcd ones are exactly the right brightness for me. Once I finish these, I may build some for a friend's 66 Nova, but since the taillights are so small, I'll probably use some 6 or 8k mcd units.
So you got them done yet? Gonna give any more info on how you wired them all up?

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, as of right now, I finished the other one, but when I lit them up side by side, they were different colors. Apparently there are lots of different colors of red LEDs, so my new supplier is trying to match some up for me.

I'll be sure to post pictures when I get things finished up. I'd really like to get this over with.

Yea this thread was cool, he had pics of the board and everything. Too bad he didn't post more...

Looks like we should get more info on this considering that the Prius/G35/Accord/M3 etc. all have LED tails stock... :(

Henceforward said:
Yea this thread was cool, he had pics of the board and everything. Too bad he didn't post more...

Looks like we should get more info on this considering that the Prius/G35/Accord/M3 etc. all have LED tails stock... :(

ya...the freakin Prius View attachment 455767

why cant we all hahaha....we neeed a write up again....i wanna do this, but dont want to end up fryin the whole car lol

Any chance that one could just take one of those LED trailer taillights and adapt it to fit inside an LX or GT lens housing? Y'know, take off the plastic shell that those come with, figure which wire goes for the parking lamps and which is for the brake lamps, and then secure them behind the LX lens...? You can score a pair from Harbor Freight or AutoZone for pretty cheap.

That, or taking one of the aforementioned OEM LED taillights and trimming it down to fit ... although that'd be a way more expensive way to go, I figure.

Any chance that one could just take one of those LED trailer taillights and adapt it to fit inside an LX or GT lens housing? Y'know, take off the plastic shell that those come with, figure which wire goes for the parking lamps and which is for the brake lamps, and then secure them behind the LX lens...? You can score a pair from Harbor Freight or AutoZone for pretty cheap.

That, or taking one of the aforementioned OEM LED taillights and trimming it down to fit ... although that'd be a way more expensive way to go, I figure.

dude thats not a bad idea? :shrug:

Perhaps. It may be too thick though, it's tapered back there behind the lenses. You could take those apart and get some thin plywood or something to mount the LED's to. That might be a cheap place to harvest LED's. :dunno: