My LED taillight panels... which version should I use??

• Sponsors (?)

I finally logged back in today after a few years and had 8 PMs from people about these. Apparently I don't have any kind of email notification turned on, so sorry about that. I updated the first post to include what I believe are the original pics.

hellyeah i'm glad you finally fixed the pictures. that looks awesome.:D iwanted to do something like that but have no idea how. i wanted it just so the lights are brighter, hopefully meaning no idiots running into my rear. do you still have the car? any newer pics. i know many of us would be interested in getting a set made. after seeing how much better the led's are i want to try and upgrade all my nights.

:nice:

I just went with the second type. I really didn't want to attract any more attention than I needed to.

I still have the car, but it's up on jack stands right now while I'm waiting for new control arms to show up. Once I get those on, I need to take the car out to get some pics for my insurance policy, so I may be able to get a few more shots of the tails.

I've been approached to make sets for other people, but to be honest, it was such a huge pain, I don't think there's much of a chance I'd do it again. Just to make up for the time and materials, I would have to charge $500 or so for a set. I'd be willing to sell my original prototype to someone if they want to try to make their own though. :D

Why don't you try this but vertically, like trying to resemble the the classic Mustangs or the 96-04? I've always imagined something like this.

This is of the regular tail lights.
Taillights014.jpg

I can pretty much guarantee that kit is WAY cheaper than it would cost to put a decent set together yourself. Granted it doesn't use even close to the same number of LEDs as I did, but I'd guess I had about $150 just in parts, (super-bright LEDs were/are pretty expensive), plus the countless hours of labor.

As far as a wiring diagram, I don't have one. I just came up with it all in my head, and calculated resistor values based on the LED ratings, and assumes a 14V source.