My low budget Engine Combo...

So i'm no master Mechanic, but i've been around for awhile, so i'm going to throw some **** out there for you guys, and see what ya'll think about my low budget engine combo.

Stock Production 302, bored 0.030 over,(it is 0.030,and not 0.0030 right?) Forged Pistons, Forged Rods, Cast Steel Crankshaft,DSS Windage Tray. A set of stock E7 heads that have been ported and Polished, along with new springs and valves Installed. (they were free, don't tell me it was a waste of money) an Explorer Intake, (can it be gasket matched, or is it already big enough?) 70mm TB, 65mm MAF, inside a MAC CAI. 30lb Injectors, some type of computer burn to tune it all up, and help it run to it's max potential. I'm thinking something like a B cam, Long tubes,(or shorties, what do you think?) O/R X pipe, DynoMax Mufflers(thinking about dumping behind the rear wheels, or keeping the straight out the back, think it would look cool dumped behind the rear wheels?) all that into a rebuilt,slightly Beefed up T5, with a Pro 5.0 Shifter. Aluminum Driveshaft to a rearend stuffed with 4.10 gears, posi unit, with 31 spline axles, 3" studs, and a new dif cover for added strength. a set of UPR "pro Street" Upper and Lower Control arms, Don't know about springs, I've got a set of SprangZ off of www.Mustangtuning.com right now.
I'm looking for a set of 17X9/17X10.5 rear 2003 Cobra Rims, with 245/45/17's up front,(undecided on Tire BRAND) and 295/35/17's out back(Nitto's). I'd like to add a 75-125 shot of giggle gas from NX.(wet system) don't think i'd need a bigger fuel pump would I? How about as far as the car cooling? I was going to run a Meziere Electric Water pump, with an Optima battery relocated to the trunk. do you think the Electric Water pump and factory Ford replacement Radiator will be ok?

The car already has a rear seat delete, No AC, and no Smog pump, as the Smog pump was making a metal on metal grinding noise, and the AC was broke,so i chunked them. the car isn't a daily driver so it's not a big deal, it's more of a toy...
I'll be leaving for deployment in a hair over a month,:flag: so i'll come back in May with some cash.
that is the little combo i've put together, care to critique it? i believe in constructive Critism, so go for it, i don't claim to be a car Genious, just somebody who's been watching and listening for a good few years, and think i can put a decent combo together, by the way, the ONLY part that would not be done by me, would be the rearend and gears,(local guy here in Va Beach, VA) the tranny rebuild, (My Buddies Girlfriends dad) and the machine work, and piston,rod,crank install (machine shop, don't know which one yet)

So, what does everyone think? will it work? any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

I would def. go with a bigger fuel pump.. a 255 to be safe. Also, what about a MAF to go with those injectors.. Also, look at a tweecer for a chip.. you can then tune it yourself.. save some cash in the long haul.
Also, if you're willing to spend 300-400 more you can get a set of used GT40 heads that will flow a bit better than the stock E7TE heads.

I'm in the process of building my budget buildup also, so it's good to talk to someone in the same shoes.

zZsKyZz said:
I would def. go with a bigger fuel pump.. a 255 to be safe. Also, what about a MAF to go with those injectors.. Also, look at a tweecer for a chip.. you can then tune it yourself.. save some cash in the long haul.
Also, if you're willing to spend 300-400 more you can get a set of used GT40 heads that will flow a bit better than the stock E7TE heads.

I'm in the process of building my budget buildup also, so it's good to talk to someone in the same shoes.

Sounds like i need your e-mail address so i can keep up with you and your buildup while i'm on deployment.
I got a few other recomendations from another site, theirs were...

"E7's = Suck
Alphabet Cams = better cams for the same price out there,
30LB Injectors = to much
and the MAC CAI is worthless"

I was going with the E7's because my buddy had the work done and SUPPOSEDLY they flow the same as the GT40 heads on the Cobra's, and it was a really good deal. i've got the block sitting at a buddies in Houston, and when i go on Deployment i'll slowly start the build, as for the tranny and rearend, tranny and rearend are first, because the motor in my car now works, anyways, shoot me a PM or something, i'd really like to keep in touch so i can hear how you're buildup goes...:nice:

tjh566 said:
The Mac CAI Might be "worthless", even though i'd say its good for a few ponies, but it looks better than a stock airbox, 30's may be too much?? and E7's do suck but yes they can be ported to flow more than gt-40s, see www.thumperoforangepark.com, bigger fuel pump probly a 155lph would be good.
the MAC was dumped in favor of a C&L, or the JLT(the JLT is 4",and local to me here in Norfolk)

some guys from another site mentioned 30lbs being to much, but 24 would be ok, and slightly better than the stock 19lbers. a 255LPH pump was also mentioned. I'm going to stick with the E7's I have because i have them, and they were basically free, so i'm not really losing any money on them if i use them, or don't use them except maybe for Gaskets if i ever upgrade from them.

Also, i was just thinking... what kind of Ignition should i go with? and timing, as far as timing is concerned, what should it be at? If i was to go with an MSD ignition set-up, would i see minor power gains, and have a better running car overall?

parchisi said:
I personally think an MSD ignition would be a waste of time unless you have plans in the future for NOS or forced induction.

Towards the bottom of my first post i said i planned on installing an NX wet kit jetted from 75-125. So i DO plan on some giggle gas. but only for the rare occasion. especially since i don't know where in VA Beach to fill it up. lol... as for the MSD system, if it's not worth it, then **** it, i'll save some cash and NOT get it.

At least upgrade your ignition coil for spraying.

Since you are spraying a wet shot and not making more then 270ish rwhp, 24s with the stock MAF will be fine. You will have to chip it htough, but you knew that.

The B cam will most likely be a bear to tune in. Our computers don't like the alphabet cams. Look for something with a 114ish LSA.

CAI is not worthless. If it was worthless nobody would do it. Anyone serious about it is going to modify the air inlet track. It's not just about putting the filter in the fenderwall, its about increasing the diameter of the pipe. You can build your own or pony up 50 bones for an Ebay one.

As for timing, I would tune it in for NA then pull 2 degrees for every 50 shot. Also gap your plugs tighter and run 1 level colder. The instruction manual will set you straight.

Long tubes are a great addition to any combo. Don't buy shorties, I wish I hadn't, they are a waste of money.

Adam

edit: realized you were spraying a wetshot and not a dry one

Black95GTS said:
At least upgrade your ignition coil for spraying.

Since you are spraying a wet shot and not making more then 270ish rwhp, 24s with the stock MAF will be fine. You will have to chip it htough, but you knew that.

The B cam will most likely be a bear to tune in. Our computers don't like the alphabet cams. Look for something with a 114ish LSA.

CAI is not worthless. If it was worthless nobody would do it. Anyone serious about it is going to modify the air inlet track. It's not just about putting the filter in the fenderwall, its about increasing the diameter of the pipe. You can build your own or pony up 50 bones for an Ebay one.

As for timing, I would tune it in for NA then pull 2 degrees for every 50 shot. Also gap your plugs tighter and run 1 level colder. The instruction manual will set you straight.

Long tubes are a great addition to any combo. Don't buy shorties, I wish I hadn't, they are a waste of money.

Adam

edit: realized you were spraying a wetshot and not a dry one

Awesome, thanks for the imput... I talked to my best friend last night, who lives back home in Houston, he said his dad said that they would have the block machined and built, and keep it at their house until i get back from deployment to pick it up. so that was great, my buddies dad knows a LOT of people in Houston that deal with cars....

Do you think i'll only make around 270hp? i'm hoping to be between 305-330 N/A... and closer to 400 on the Gas... am i expecting to much from the little combo? also, instead of a 306, my buddies dad talked me into a 331. so i'll have a few more Cubes. DO you(OR ANYONE) know a company that has LT's AND the Mid pipe? i'd like to get them both at the same time if i can.

93GTWannabe said:
Awesome, thanks for the imput... I talked to my best friend last night, who lives back home in Houston, he said his dad said that they would have the block machined and built, and keep it at their house until i get back from deployment to pick it up. so that was great, my buddies dad knows a LOT of people in Houston that deal with cars....

Do you think i'll only make around 270hp? i'm hoping to be between 305-330 N/A... and closer to 400 on the Gas... am i expecting to much from the little combo? also, instead of a 306, my buddies dad talked me into a 331. so i'll have a few more Cubes. DO you(OR ANYONE) know a company that has LT's AND the Mid pipe? i'd like to get them both at the same time if i can.

I think you'll have a lot of trouble making more then 270rw with worked over stock heads. They are definately going to be a bottle neck in your combo. To get to 300rw the "common" combo is a custom cam, afr/tw heads, and an aftermarket intake. DISCLAIMER: There are plenty of other ways to do this. You can look in the faq sticky at the top of the forum for combos and results.

I don't know much about long tubes. I do know that the more I learn about exhaust, the dumber I feel about paying 400 bucks for shorties. I try not to think about it.:bang:

The 100 shot of juice will get about 70rwhp, 100rwtrq. This is from what I've read, I admit to having no firsthand experience.

Adam

Black95GTS said:
I don't know much about long tubes. I do know that the more I learn about exhaust, the dumber I feel about paying 400 bucks for shorties. I try not to think about it.:bang:
when i was looking into long tubes, i learned that in addition to the headers, you need a matching mid-pipe. that means another $400 for me because i need one with cats. that is why i'll be going with shorties. but $400 does sound high for shorties :shrug:

good luck with the build and come home in one piece.

:flag:

BlackVert said:
when i was looking into long tubes, i learned that in addition to the headers, you need a matching mid-pipe. that means another $400 for me because i need one with cats. that is why i'll be going with shorties. but $400 does sound high for shorties :shrug:

good luck with the build and come home in one piece.

:flag:

Thanks...:flag:

That was kind of the reason i was looking into shorties. I can get a set of MAC shorties for like $150, and can use the factory H-pipe, or an aftermarket one. If i get Longtubes, who makes a good brand? where can i get an aftermaket X-pipe? I don't want cats... I don't need them either, I can get Inspection stickers anytime, be it Texas, or Virginia...

Black95GTS said:
I think you'll have a lot of trouble making more then 270rw with worked over stock heads. They are definately going to be a bottle neck in your combo. To get to 300rw the "common" combo is a custom cam, afr/tw heads, and an aftermarket intake. DISCLAIMER: There are plenty of other ways to do this. You can look in the faq sticky at the top of the forum for combos and results.

The 100 shot of juice will get about 70rwhp, 100rwtrq. This is from what I've read, I admit to having no firsthand experience.

Adam

I'm just using the heads i have because they were cheap, and if i ever upgrade, i'll only be out whatever it costs for new head gaskets. as far as the Longtubes, see my above post. I can't remember the exact calculations for Nitrous to power. but what you say is about right, or sounds about right.

i think usually ppl get the midpipe with the long tubes, both from the same place. a midpipe with no cats is pretty cheap compared to one with cats. i have heard good things about bbk's as far as fitment, but ppl say to not use the header gaskets that come with them.

for shorties, i'd say go with un-equal length ones, because i have equal length ones and they burn up plug wires and are a real PITA to work around.

BlackVert said:
i think usually ppl get the midpipe with the long tubes, both from the same place. a midpipe with no cats is pretty cheap compared to one with cats. i have heard good things about bbk's as far as fitment, but ppl say to not use the header gaskets that come with them.

for shorties, i'd say go with un-equal length ones, because i have equal length ones and they burn up plug wires and are a real PITA to work around.

Yeah, well... it just so happens, that i came home early today, because when my wife and i got married last month, we weren't able to load all our gifts from Texas, back in the lil ole Honda to get back, so our crate was to be brought to the house today. so i got off at 11, came home, and she(my wife was here) she was online and on the phone talking to the college she's going through online, i took a nap, while i was asleep, not only did the package arrive, but my wife got approved for Military help because we're both active duty, they gave her $6,000 towards her books that will only cost $150. so we're going to invest $5,000 into a CD, and use the rest for my car.... then whatever we make off our investment is going to my car... WOOHOO!!!!! today was a GREAT day.:nice:

BlackVert said:

If only everyday was like today... LOL... She said she would give me $1000
to use on my car, I'm trying to talk her into $1500, I think she'll give in and let me have it, but either way, I'm going to go through E-bay and some Classifieds online, save myself some money that way, so i can get more bang for the buck... Hopefully the Interest Rate on 6 month CD's is good, i'll be able to have a little extra cash when i come home in may from deployment.

Even if you already got a mid pipe that will work with shortys .......

Rather than pay for and use shortys ...........

I'd use the factory oem exhaust manifolds until I could get LT's and compatible mid pipe.

LT's do make a difference on a street combo and if you ever do move up to a better flowing head, the same LT's will not be a hinderance to the new head.

Most of the time ... they just make more low/mid range tq ... a good kinda thing when talking about a street machine :nice:

You see peeps love/hate both of the two most commonly used LT's whether thay be BBK or Mac. I have seen some say they have fitment probs with BBK LT's and certain mid pipes. As others have said, most likely a good idea to use the same maker for both parts.

My Mac stuff fit fine and has given me no probs of any kind since I put them on around Christmas in 02. I'm even still running the same gaskets.

Good Luck with all your plans :)

Grady