My LS1 Notch Project (DUW)

• Sponsors (?)

Nice Idea.

Just one thing, when I showed this to my brother he was just wondering how many miles on that motor and is everything ok with it, since he pointed out that the pulleys are rusted and he was just wondering what the inside would look like. By the way my brother was asking since yeah he is a chevy guy with a camaro.

mootang said:
I'm not a fan of mixing engines from different brands but that will be a pretty nice setup when your finished. I love the LS1 but I personally would never put a ford engine in a chevy or vice versa. some nitrous will really wake that thing up nicely. many LS1 f bodies are running deep into the 11's with nitrous. just out of curiousity what kind of hp will a stock LS1 short block hold up to?

+1

Black95GTS said:
All the chevy guys will be confused though when you are still able to keep up with them after 2nd gear.

Adam

Keeping up with them, if he is only keeping up with them, then he has a problem. A fox body is about 1000 pounds lighter then a camaro. If anything they would be lucky to keep up with him.

Keep us updated.

mootang said:
I'm not a fan of mixing engines from different brands but that will be a pretty nice setup when your finished. I love the LS1 but I personally would never put a ford engine in a chevy or vice versa. some nitrous will really wake that thing up nicely. many LS1 f bodies are running deep into the 11's with nitrous. just out of curiousity what kind of hp will a stock LS1 short block hold up to?

I don't see why people think that way.. You see old hotrods with SBC's in them all the time.. My buddy laid down over 700 rwhp in a 00' ss camaro.
But it came apart on the dyno.. the bottom end was all stock.

mustanggt9550 said:
I don't see why people think that way.. You see old hotrods with SBC's in them all the time.. My buddy laid down over 700 rwhp in a 00' ss camaro.
But it came apart on the dyno.. the bottom end was all stock.

There's nothing I hate more than walking up to nice Ford hot rod and seeing a Chevy engine in there. :nonono: It wouldn't be so bad if you saw a bunch of old Chevy's with Ford power, but I think I've seen more LS1 powered Mustangs than Ford powered Chevy's.

Here's the days work.

This is the start of a web of wires and connectors to get all the guages hooked up
53734.jpg

Here's the motor all finished up with the fuel rails and lines. Dont mind the jumper wires. I cleaned them up after I took the pictures.
53735.jpg

53736.jpg

Gauges Installed
53737.jpg

Nitrous and FP guage under the stereo.
53738.jpg

Thats all for today.

Low5.0. I understand where you are coming from. If I walked up to a 67 fastback with a SBC I would probably flip. But 5.0 mustang are dime a dozen in chicago. At any car show there is 3 408's, turbo stangs everywhere. Lots of 60's stangs with 351 or bigger. I got to the point where polishing everything and stroking it out was going to put my in the middle of the pack. Plus at a reasonable budget. A 347 stroker motor and porting the heads I had. Maybe a bigger cam too was going to net me around 350-370 rwhp. Alls I have to do is put the free cam in that I got and Im at that with a motor that will get over 20 mpg. I know no one is getting those kind of number out of 5.0's. Especially one that gets into the 350+ rwhp range.

Other then being brand biased. Whats wrong with it when it comes to a fox body.

I dont see anything wrong, its actually smart, you are takign a much more powerful motor with a lot more potential, putting it in a lighter car, getting better gas mileage, and have somethign unique that will get tons of attention.

the hot rod thing is very true! I hate seeing chevys in the ford hot rods and I would hate to see a ford in the chevy hot rods even though I have yet to see that. I have seen lexus engines in hotrods though!

your project is really coming along nicely. It almost makes me want to vomit knowing that you will be pushing 400rwhp for the price I paid for my heads.

Numbles said:
Low5.0. I understand where you are coming from. If I walked up to a 67 fastback with a SBC I would probably flip. But 5.0 mustang are dime a dozen in chicago. At any car show there is 3 408's, turbo stangs everywhere. Lots of 60's stangs with 351 or bigger. I got to the point where polishing everything and stroking it out was going to put my in the middle of the pack. Plus at a reasonable budget. A 347 stroker motor and porting the heads I had. Maybe a bigger cam too was going to net me around 350-370 rwhp. Alls I have to do is put the free cam in that I got and Im at that with a motor that will get over 20 mpg. I know no one is getting those kind of number out of 5.0's. Especially one that gets into the 350+ rwhp range.

Other then being brand biased. Whats wrong with it when it comes to a fox body.

Nothing wrong with a LS1 in fox, IMO, it's the classic Fords with tree fiddy's in them that drive me crazy. :) I don't like the fact that it's a Chevy product, but the LSx is better than anything Ford has right now.

Had a couple new pics to add for the people interested. Had time to clean up the engine. So far ive logged 2000 miles and not problems yet. Ive raced a couple vettes on the highway and each time have pulled by 2 or more depending on the start. Hopefully Ill have some track video's soon.

So far the car gets 15/18 mpg on city and highway. I have no o2's hooked up yet. And Need to move that filter to the fender. Hopefully those with an ud pully and maybe a 3.73 will net better mpg results.

71322.jpg

71323.jpg

71324.jpg