My LX is on the road.

140cilx

Founding Member
Sep 7, 2001
GA
My LX is done, has about 60-65 miles on it. It's pretty amazingly sweet. Since the engine's been balanced, it's so smooth I nearly think a nickel could stand on end on the valve cover and not fall over. Everyone that's watched it/ridden in/driven it has been blown away, particularly my Chevy Buddies. My Camaro buddy was particularly smitten. He bug eyed several times and couldn't stop smiling and running his mouth about it. We started it at 2 am Saturday morning, while praying to God for success - lemme tell you. Thank you God it all came together as hoped! As soon as the starter touched the gear I swear it started and just sat there idling like I had been driving it and just shut it off a moment - not like it had been under the scalpel 2 years. That was a huge shock to me as I've modified so many things w/ no way to test them individually. It is way way smoother than my 'vo. Power is so smooth, I'm only running 10 psi on it right now, but it's just a better package. It seems like a very sophisticated version of the 'vo, and makes the 'vo seem all clunky and crude - so that's a good thing for the money I've spent on it. And not a bash on my svo or anyone else's.

Handling, brakes, ease of drivability, tranny, steering are a huge step forward over the 'vo. It's hard to point this car back towards the house. You just want to drive once you are in it.

Problem's: The battery went south after just a few hours. Won't take a charge at all now. I guess it sat to long, even w/ routine trickle charging.

I have to redo the fan wiring - what was working great is not working now. Simple few minutes.

Electronic Fuel Pressure sending unit is not working. Dunno why, but no prob as I set the fuel pressure to 38 psi w/ my regular gauge. The A/F and EGT gauge say's it's right on. So, I need to find out the problem there - wire pulled loose or something perhaps.

Lastly, and most aggravating. The front springs are gonna have to be "adjusted" again. I could leave it awhile until I get my fill of driving it, but it looks like I'm launching hard at all times w/ the front end 1.5" higher than the rear. DANG! I had to put in diff springs as the new wider tire/wheels rubbed where the turbines didn't prior.

But...driving it is a rush, looking forward to putting more miles on it. I'm gonna go ahead and put in a new alternator when I do the battery - this one has been on it's last legs for years. Noisy bearings/shaft play being one problem w/ it. But anyway the car is very smooth and powerful. With 10 psi boost only, I predict it will be a real bear w/ 23+. I'll go as high as the fuel injectors can handle, tune it/dyno it.

- the long project is finally (mostly) complete.

I'll get some pictures together shortly. Looks good. Gonna have to hold off on hood/paint. I'm busted for now w/ a home remodeling project killin me.

Thanks for all your help stangnet guys. You guys provided tons of help and encouragment (and ragging :D ). I'm very greatful.

• Sponsors (?)

man! i was there in spirit cheering you on! one of these days mine will be done, ill drive down and put a few thousand miles on my turbo motor ! Great Job, i look forward to pic/video ...NOW, err *cough* when ever you find it most convient ;) Great job! the Jackstand queen is back where she belongs...on the road!

Ps: is that a bowtie i see shaking in its overwieghted fbody?

YAY! it must be a nice feeling. I am glad that everything is working so well (except for the few glitches) I am still planning my swap but i am sure it will feel good to have it complete. I am actually leaning more toward the method you used to do yours. Use new parts when possible, get the injectors and electronics checked, and do it over time so nothing gets missed. I am glad after all the work it fired right up. After putting so much time and effort into it anything else would have been a crime. You bringing it to WFC in St.Louis?

Dr.

nope, didn't balance it myself. Handed all the internals over to a shop way back and they did it.

Thanks Dr. It is a nice feeling. I hope yours doesn't take as long most seriously. As far as WFC, I'd like to make it, not this year. To many irons in the fire and want to take a break from car related expenditures for a while. But it's a goal. Bet I can next year.

mr_woodster said:
dont get me wrong, i love chevy's...they just hurt my back from pushing them ;) now a turbo ls1, that would be a ride! :D
HaHa - Glad you took it lightheartedly - as that's how I intended it.

A turbo LS1 - possibly even in a '94 Camaro - now that's a thought...;)

You know with all the crap going on in my life I totally did not see this.

All I can say is Dang!! Congrats!
I know how you feel, thos elong term projects are so sweet when finished!

Now you gotta make it to WFC some year and take me for a ride :)

Now this makes me think I gotta get my 87 done up right, but I dunno if I can even afford to insure it anymore, let alone re-build it.

Sorry, I started rambling.
Congrats again!

I am really happy for you! :nice: