My MSD needs repair..

K.C.90gt

Founding Member
Jun 5, 2000
Detroit Area, MI
My wires melted on my MSD 6AL from my blower touching it, wasn't touching it when I installed it, motor must have moved a little after I dropped it in. But anyways it grounded out the wires and melted the main wire all along the MSD wire harness. I would just fix it myself but its melted all around the grommet right on the box itself where the wires start to come out. My question is, has anyone sent in their MSD ignition back to MSD to get it fixed? and if so how much did it cost and was it back to you in a short time? was it like new again? also I have the ford TFI adapter wire on it and Im afraid they will return it fixed without one. The reason I'm askin is because I emailed MSD and all I got in return was a shipping address.

• Sponsors (?)

Ranchero5.0 said:
Drill out the rivits and fix it yourself. Some of the boxes are epoxy filled so be ready to dig into it. If the wire doesn't fix it toss it in the can and get a Crane setup.

Jamie
i totally agree with the "toss it in the can and get a Crane setup" but seriously i believe MSD has a minimum charge to repair their boxes, i forget what it is give em a call :shrug:

Scott

There's only one solution to this whole problem, that might even save you money in the long run. Throw that 6A in the garbage where it belong's. Not to dis MSD as they do make some decent products, but the 6A & 6AL is old technology. They have been the same for years and years. I havn't seen many of these boxes last a year without having some sort of problem. They are basically crap. What you do is go buy a Crane setup. The HI-6 is an awesome piece and is digital as well. It may be more money, but like I say it will save you money in the long run, as they are very reliable and powerful. Combine the HI-6 with one of Cranes PS or LX series of coil's and you will be cooking with gas man. I've been running Crane Fireball products for over 3 years now and have yet to have a problem. I lost faith in MSD igniton boxes years ago. Do yourself a favour...go buy a Crane setup, alot of performance enthusiast's are starting to the same these day's. Don't even waste time and money trying to fix that 6A.. It's not worth it man.

Fully digital. No RPM rev limiter chips. Adjustable dials to the exact number RPM rev limiter. Very powerful spark, more than MSD. Very reliable. New Technology, not old. Depending on what box you buy there is also adjustable advance and retard on other Crane Boxe's as well and other cool features. Overall it's very relaible unlike MSD ignition boxes, which is the point I'm trying to get across. Power wise the Crane is ahead but it's not a HUGE difference.