Build Thread My Never Ending 89 Notch Thread

• Sponsors (?)

I don't think it's overkill. You could use either imo. Systemax if you want to keep it conservative and under 6800 and the Spyder if you want a little more out of it. You're going to have plenty of low speed torque for the street either way.

I don't think it's overkill. You could use either imo. Systemax if you want to keep it conservative and under 6800 and the Spyder if you want a little more out of it. You're going to have plenty of low speed torque for the street either way.
I'm gonna keep it right at 6800 as my max street car but honestly I want it more to clean up in there . hmmmm

The one thing I'm wondering about is the systemax being able to keep building power up to that range. I have a feeling that the powerband will flatten out in the 6-6800 range. For example let's say you see 500rwhp @6200and that may stay relatively flat maybe 520@66/6800. With a single plane/elbow system I would imagine your peak will be higher and still climb towards the top of the curve. Now if you're wanting to make max power/drag car/etc I definetly think the proper way would be a different intake than the systemax. Maybe a box r or a single plane/elbow(super Vic efi or equivalent). If you really plan to just occasionally make a trip to the track and enjoy the crap out of it on the street the Holley will work great.

The one thing I'm wondering about is the systemax being able to keep building power up to that range. I have a feeling that the powerband will flatten out in the 6-6800 range. For example let's say you see 500rwhp @6200and that may stay relatively flat maybe 520@66/6800. With a single plane/elbow system I would imagine your peak will be higher and still climb towards the top of the curve. Now if you're wanting to make max power/drag car/etc I definetly think the proper way would be a different intake than the systemax. Maybe a box r or a single plane/elbow(super Vic efi or equivalent). If you really plan to just occasionally make a trip to the track and enjoy the crap out of it on the street the Holley will work great.
I think i may just keep the systemax on it and finally order long tubes and the xpipe for them being that i am sure thats a draw back as well but again not sure i dont want to piss money into the wind if i dont have too

Edit - Freezy says no brainer go 1 3/4 . so I guess that will be bought with tax money

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
@84Ttop efi spider and and elbow over kill for street car ? should I just stick with my systemax ? just thinking here
Either will get the job done, systemax is a better choice. You will see fuel distribution problems with a spider type intake... How do I know that? 20% fuel correction on most of the cars with imported spider intakes that use an elbo... I have almost 800$ worth of welding and port work into my intake just to get it "right"

Reactions: 1 user
Box intake will.kill some tq but will make more HP . ported systemax will support 8000+rpms and 1000 HP all day long. Look at the old school renegade cars! That was the baller intake to have

Reactions: 2 users
Box intake will.kill some tq but will make more HP . ported systemax will support 8000+rpms and 1000 HP all day long. Look at the old school renegade cars! That was the baller intake to have
I've always wondered about that. I'm going to portmatch mine. I think I might send it to T Moss later. Where do you think the most gains are made from? Porting the lower or upper/both? Loosing a little down low for a 363/blower on the street wouldn't be a bad thing imo. I know the opening is slightly smaller than my 75mm accufab and I'm going to clean that up also.

Either will get the job done, systemax is a better choice. You will see fuel distribution problems with a spider type intake... How do I know that? 20% fuel correction on most of the cars with imported spider intakes that use an elbo... I have almost 800$ worth of welding and port work into my intake just to get it "right"

When you say "imported" which ones are we talking about? Because when I go dart block, my plan was to lose the rpm II and go with an efi victor with an elbow.. Please enlighten me.

EDIT: I have access to a nice heli-arc rig, if I need to do welding to one, where?

I've always wondered about that. I'm going to portmatch mine. I think I might send it to T Moss later. Where do you think the most gains are made from? Porting the lower or upper/both? Loosing a little down low for a 363/blower on the street wouldn't be a bad thing imo. I know the opening is slightly smaller than my 75mm accufab and I'm going to clean that up also.
Port matching is one thing, don't get me wrong that will help but is no replacement for serious porting. These two are vastly different. You will see more gains in porting the lower than the upper with the systemax. The throttle body opening should be port matched to your T/B size as well.

When you say "imported" which ones are we talking about? Because when I go dart block, my plan was to lose the rpm II and go with an efi victor with an elbow.. Please enlighten me.

EDIT: I have access to a nice heli-arc rig, if I need to do welding to one, where?
When I say "imported" I'm referring to the Chinese knock off brands. These have less quality control and even more poorly constructed (casting flash ect) when it comes to the name brand stuff. With that being said, any boosted car with an elbow on top of a spyder type intake will have fuel distribution issues( I use a super victor fwiw). The runner lengths are vastly different in the corners and see less air flow. depending on the direction of the elbow you can see the distribution issues move around. When it comes to fixing something like this it isn't something that anyone in there back yard is going to be proficient at. I do 100% of all of my fab work and welding but porting the intake on my car is something that I won't even attempt. Tommy Slowko is who has my intake now fixing the distribution issue. Porting in the runners alone is not enough in my case to fix the issue... They are welding on the dividers and adding material to the floor of the plenum as well as flow testing everything once that process is all said and done. To get even EGT's and good plugs across the motor I've had as much as 25% fuel out of the corners on my motor (this is insanity) to the point where the car would run great WOT but would have issues idling with no real happy medium. ( these are the things that no one talks about and even fewer people will work with you on, welcome to making big HP ) ;)

Reactions: 1 users
You mention using an elbow and it seems like you are eluding to that being the issue (outside of the cheap Chinee castings). Would a 4150 style throttle body have any effect on correcting this issue?

You mention using an elbow and it seems like you are eluding to that being the issue (outside of the cheap Chinee castings). Would a 4150 style throttle body have any effect on correcting this issue?
A throttle body helps but does not fix the problem, once the plenum is full of air (under boost) you still have the differing runner lengths and similar distribution problems. Again, these are unique problems to boosted applications. Where the 4150 throttle body helps some, there is the challenge to getting the air into that throttle body. Currently the extreme velocity hat is the best solution but the combination of that and the throttle body create more restriction than an elbow and 105mm throttle body lets say. It's a toss up and in most cases I am talking about the extreme end of things here.

Reactions: 1 user
My birthday is next Friday . Thanks mom !
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423764272.854779.jpg

Holy crap I was just there ordering my o2's and mid pipe. Lol. Wish my family would buy me parts. Lmao!! Better make sure you buy mom some nice Mothers Day present:D
My moms real cool about this stuff shes been around it since she was 18-19 from my father and she basically raised me when he passed and always supported my hobby knowing it was a passion. But ill let you in on another funny one. Those didnt come free Her and i share the same birthday LOL