Build Thread My Never Ending 89 Notch Thread

• Sponsors (?)

In NY anything older then 95 is only a safety inspection . and I have a custom plate so it's no biggie plus my early years I have a less then good driving record .
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399918777.551107.jpg

Than* x2 :p

:leaving:

Jeff,
Here is my list that I came up with that I did my catch can setup, all of my part numbers are summit part numbers but if you prefer jegs, you can at least see what im talking about.

-10 AN hose SUM-230010 (10 ft) if you want to get 15 ft you can to be safer haha.
Black -10 AN 90's SUM-220087B (2) (jeff I know your car is red if you want the red blue ones remove the B)
Black -10 AN Straights SUM-220090B (2)
Black -10 AN 45's SUM-220086B (2) (Jeff I also used straights with my setup its pretty close
if you don't feel comfortable with the straights you can get the 45's)
Aluminum overflow tank SUM-300100 (1)
K and N Filter 62-1580 (1)
-10 AN weld on bungs SUM-220062 (2) ( These were used to attach the hose to the catch can.)
Grommet to attach filter to catch can SUM-G3410

Ok so with this catch can it has a threaded top and bottom I cut one side off flush with a band saw and used a stepper bit attached to a drill to drill out the hole to fit the grommet and attach the filter to the can, the other side of the tank is also threaded and used the supplied valve as a drain valve for collecting the oil without taking off the tank.

Let me know if you need any help, also let nick know with the valve covers to add the two bungs for you and also to have him put a filler cap as well.

@TOOLOW91, @84Ttop

Reactions: 2 users
What is this catch can you guys are speaking of? Is it needed for forced induction?
yes you need it... it balances out the induction/crankcase pressures.
the pcv acts as controlled vent for the crankcase and recirculates the air into the intake. this is important because all air past the maf has been measured by the ecu... hence the filler cap no longer vents to the atmosphere causing measure imbalances. the catch can also allows oil vapor to settle out and not enter the intake and burn along with recirculated crankcase air and gases providing better combustion scenarios.. boost would exasperate the oil entering the intake and crankcase pressure imbalances. catch cans may connect solely to the pcv or to lines attached to the valve covers or all 3... here is a link to TomR's setup, he resides on a different form but this is his own page.

http://www.w8ji.com/pcv_system.htm

Last edited:
Jeff,
Here is my list that I came up with that I did my catch can setup, all of my part numbers are summit part numbers but if you prefer jegs, you can at least see what im talking about.

-10 AN hose SUM-230010 (10 ft) if you want to get 15 ft you can to be safer haha.
Black -10 AN 90's SUM-220087B (2) (jeff I know your car is red if you want the red blue ones remove the B)
Black -10 AN Straights SUM-220090B (2)
Black -10 AN 45's SUM-220086B (2) (Jeff I also used straights with my setup its pretty close
if you don't feel comfortable with the straights you can get the 45's)
Aluminum overflow tank SUM-300100 (1)
K and N Filter 62-1580 (1)
-10 AN weld on bungs SUM-220062 (2) ( These were used to attach the hose to the catch can.)
Grommet to attach filter to catch can SUM-G3410

Ok so with this catch can it has a threaded top and bottom I cut one side off flush with a band saw and used a stepper bit attached to a drill to drill out the hole to fit the grommet and attach the filter to the can, the other side of the tank is also threaded and used the supplied valve as a drain valve for collecting the oil without taking off the tank.

Let me know if you need any help, also let nick know with the valve covers to add the two bungs for you and also to have him put a filler cap as well.

@TOOLOW91, @84Ttop
I appreciate the time . I rather summit then jegs !

Reactions: 1 user
so I got some stuff done today notning major more cleaning up around the garage then anything but I did mangage to paint the ac compressor black , clean some of the vortech kit up , pain my stock water pump pulley and a few other things as well

Uuuummmmmm......ya know LMR sells a breather/catchcan setup, right? I just saw it on their website yesterday.

Practically useless for a street car and would never be needed on a track car.

Anything using a MAF meter should not be using a breather of any kind where the additional air is not being measured. Creating an open system like that can often be tuned for but will never be as good as the tune could be in a closed system.

Yeah... Lots of people do it. The ones where I've had the opportunity to show the difference to, don't run these systems any more. Street cars should always be closed systems IMO.

Reactions: 1 user
Practically useless for a street car and would never be needed on a track car.

Anything using a MAF meter should not be using a breather of any kind where the additional air is not being measured. Creating an open system like that can often be tuned for but will never be as good as the tune could be in a closed system.

Yeah... Lots of people do it. The ones where I've had the opportunity to show the difference to, don't run these systems any more. Street cars should always be closed systems IMO.
So what would your suggestion be to do to not sling the oil in the intake

I can understand that for n/a applications but isn't it different for a forced induction

It is not different. The theory and operation are the same. The only thing that's different is that Windsor motor do not have provisions to move enough PCV air for a boosted app. That's when you have to get a little creative start tapping other sources to pull metered, crank-case air, back into the top of the engine (previously mentioned pass side valve cover).

All too often folks try to use the existing PCV vacuum source and discover that it's inadequate or that it picks up too much oil. Well it's picking up all that oil because you're trying to get all that boosted volume through a tiny 5/8s inch line. OF COURSE it's going to pick up oil in all that air velocity.

Double or triple the size/number of your PCV vac sources and that air slows down significantly and picks up less oil. I would still have a separator on each line but you won't being emptying them anywhere NEAR as much.