My new Ford Clutch Cable....it's goooooood!

Bottomlesspit

I started the longest tech thread in the known uni
Founding Member
Jan 1, 1999
Del Rio, TX
Hey guys,
I have been reading the million posts around here about which clutch cables to use. We started out with installing a "steeda" clutch quadrant/FWA/Cable package from 50resto. It lasted less than a year and stranded me last month where I had to be towed. Darn cable sheath came apart and jammed up the cable.
I was desperate so I picked up a cable at Advance Auto Parts...made by Zoom. Both of these cables made the clutch pedal effort almost unbearable. It was unbelieable how much force was needed to push the clutch pedal in...made driving the car almost a dread.
I finally had enough, and after reading all the posts around here, I ordered up a Universal Ford cable from Maximum Motorsports.
I got it installed last night. I actually took the cover off hte bellhousing twice because I thought the cable wasn't connected...there wasn't any pedal resistance?! I was as smooth and effortless to push the pedal down as slicing a hot knife through butter! There is almost no effort at all! I really thought the cable had come off at one end, that's why I kept checking. It was much too late to do a test drive, so I had to wait until this morning.
OMG! Unbelievable difference! All I can say is I am a total believer in buying a quality cable from MM!!!!!!! WOW!!!
The only issue I ran into was relocating the mounting bracket since this cable is longer than stock. I ended up drilling the hole bigger in the mounting tab, twisting the angle a bit, and bolted it right to one of the swaybar bolts sticking up...just used a spare nut that fit the bolt. This allows the cable to stretch out to it's perfect length...no buncing up or sharp bends.
I'm one happy camper...you have no idea how hard the previous two clutches were to work.
Just wanted to share my encounter for those of you who might be needing anew clutch cable soon.........
Ken

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, it's like driving a totally different car now. The syc's are definitely shot on 3rd gear, so it still grinds if I try to stuff the shifter fast. As long as I pause briefly before hitting third it goes right in. Still, the smooth and light clutch step is so refreshing.
Making that large radius curve for the cable was a huge step in the right direction. It almost ended in disaster though. I was drilling the hole larger in the metal bracket when all of a sudden the bit froze as it locked itself into the metal. I was using a high torque drill so when it grabbed it twisted my arm into a pretzel. I heard snapping noises and was sure my arm had snapped. I even got nauseas and had to lie down. Well, after a day went by things calmed down so I guess it isn't broken?! It is sore as heck and I can't really use it. I can't pick anything up right now because it will shoot pains straight up the arm enough to double me over. Typing with one hand is a pain!!! It's a bit black and blue but didn't swell up. I guess it's the price we pay to have great working parts, huh?
I'm still happy with the outcome though.
Ken

Ken, I agree with 88blacklx. You don't want a crippled wing (if something let go and heals half-arsed).

I actually thought the story was going to be different. I've drilled brackets and had the bit bite and spin the bracket out of my hand, slicing it open. I now wear mechanics gloves and hold the bracket in a vice or if not on a bench, I hold the bracket with a big old pair of lineman's pliers. Also, in my experience, unibits are much less likely to bite like a conventional drill bit.

Hope you're feeling better Ken! Please do get it checked out. We'll start a Ken's doctor fund if we have to. If you were nauseus and now have this kind of pain................

Ken, I agree with 88blacklx. You don't want a crippled wing (if something let go and heals half-arsed).

I actually thought the story was going to be different. I've drilled brackets and had the bit bite and spin the bracket out of my hand, slicing it open. I now wear mechanics gloves and hold the bracket in a vice or if not on a bench, I hold the bracket with a big old pair of lineman's pliers. Also, in my experience, unibits are much less likely to bite like a conventional drill bit.

Hope you're feeling better Ken! Please do get it checked out. We'll start a Ken's doctor fund if we have to. If you were nauseus and now have this kind of pain................

X2 on the Mechanics Gloves, they have saved my hands many times over! I also like Purple Nitrile Rubber Gloves when getting into something really Greasy!

Thanks guys. The arm is feeling a bit better today. It is sore as crap, but i can still use it some. I stopped by the doctor and he feels it is a bad sprain, pulled muscles, but the bone isn't broken.
I was stupid and didn't think before I went to drilling. I used to have those mechanix gloves when i worked on my old surge demon 93 vert, but the gloves have been long gone since. Now that i'm working on a stang again I think tomorrow I will pick up another set!!! I have the dash completely torn apart as I continue my re-wiring chore. The 10 yr old who wired this car obviously had no concept on how wiring should go. The engine bay took me several weeks to get the wiring back in shape, now the interior is even worse...bare wires, splices, plugs going nowhere, extra wiring everywhere....what a mess.
When i'm done I have all new dash and console parts to put in, so with somenew carpet the interior should look pretty good. My son will come home from college and take a look at "his" car and shake his head. I think he thought I should have bought all these nice parts for him while he was driving it!?! HA, ha...now that it's mine he will just have to bite his tongue in envy!
I will nurse my arm another day and then get back to work. It's a bit fun to be back working on a stang after those 5 yrs or so I took a break from it all.
Not sure what to do about the body work though...it's rough.
Thanks again guys,
Ken