My opinion on No Mufflers...

• Sponsors (?)

E9_95_GT said:
i drove my car home from the muffler shop with a O/R X-pipe and no mufflers,,,and it sounded good at idle,,,but goin thru the gears it was AWFUL

Yeah.... I would suspect headers and a no-cat x or h-pipe would sound awful cause there would be no muffle to it to tone it down. I have restrictive factory headers and restrictive factory h-pipe so mine sounds pretty good!

Removing the mufflers is a quick way to get your car up to redneck standards. Put a real 2.5" cat back on it and then get some longtube headers if your looking to make some power with your exh.

Look on the 94--95 faq sheet. It show a muffler shootout. With no mufflers it lost power. But that was with an exhuast. You won't probably won't lose hp with stock H-pipe and headers but if you upgade later you will.

BlueOvalStangGT said:
i dont get how you will lose power without mufflers, can someone please explain?

From what I understand, you will lose backpressure and that upsets something, resulting in a loos in power. I realize that is probably the wost explanation ever, would someone who knows a little bit more care to elaborate on this, or tell me if its right.

the theary is that you will loose low end torque b/c you wont have as much backpressure, i really still dont understand that but you will not loose horsepower. top end, with a motor revving, you need to get rid of as much exhaust as you can and the "backpressure" would hurt that.

oh and my personal 2 cents, no muffs sound cool when by yourself but when your trying to talk to someone in the car or on the phone, it can get a little irritateing, but the cool definately out wieghs

No backpressure equals lost horsepower, sounds good at idle but sounds like someone is firing a machine gun under your car at acceleration, gets old after awhile. My opinion :notnice: I've had this before and flowmasters were on my car the next day. Seems like alot of threads of no mufflers are popping up....

i ran my car with no mufflers for awhile. it sounded good for all of a 30 seconds or so, and then it just got damn annoying cause it was too loud. little kids used to run and hide in the bushes when i drove by.