my setup sucks, need advice!

D347643

Banned
Jan 28, 2003
portland, OR
ok i am totally not happy with my setup. I have twisted wedge heads, street heat intake, 65mmtb, 76mm mass air 24 pound injectors and stock cam with 1.6 rr. I have 308's in the back and i had planned to do a turbo setup and swap 3.55's in there and hopefully shoot for 450rwhp but now im considering other options. How much psi would i need to get over 400rwhp with a supercharger?
I'm just kind of in a jumble right now cause i thought my new setup would be a hellll of a lot faster than the stock, run down, engine but its not as fast as i thought it would be. I was keeping my stock cam for a turbo setup too, plus i have emissions testing in 1 month. My question is this:

should i do which of these 3 things?

1. keep stock cam, put 1.7rr on exhaust side and do a single turbo setup with a powerstoke diesel

2. save up for a supercharger and just blow the damn engine (what cam/lifters would be a good choice, b cam? 1.7's?)

3. mill my heads and run high comp and bottle feed my pony.

any input or suggestion would be GREATLY appeciated :flag:

thanks,

Drew

haha and NO getting a bigger engine isnt a choice, i already have a carburated 393, that i just built, that is gonna go into my friend and i's "drag" car. :D

• Sponsors (?)

Depends what you want, N2O or boost...

An S-trim will yield you over 400RWHP with that set-up no problem, but you'll need larger injectors, fuel pump, and maybe a Pro-M meter, and it won't blow if tuned correctly, very common combo. I'd also swap cams....

The above combo you already have with some 3:73 or 4:10's a cam and decent suspension should yeild you 12 sec time slips...

I'd try to figure out why the current combo isn't running good before you throw more parts at it, a cam may help you.....the 3:08's just don't give that raw torque feeling that a set of 3:73's will.

Your engine needs to turn some RPM's to get it up into the area where it will develop some decent power. The 3.08's are your worst enemy right now.

The engine combo you have has great potential, and if it was me, I'd keep it as is. But with the 3.08's the airflow through the engine is so slow that you don't get the snappy pickup you would expect.

Thumper460's comments about good airflow velocity making for snappy performance keep ringing in my ears. You can design it into a street car by using heads with small port volume and slippery passages. You can design it into your street/strip car using high volume ports, but your going to have to turn some RPM's to make it happen.

I agree with all the above posts. I have a setup similar to yours except with a TFS stage 1 cam, the street intake, and 3.73s in the rear.

My combo was worth every penny i put into it. I love it. It screams at 6k rpms.

My suggestion if your going with supercharger, stick in 3.55s, and change the cam. Custom cam if your going with supercharger, else the tfs stage 1 is very nice.

yeah i have underdrive pulleys. My combo also had low compression too, around 8.9:1 but due to bad seating surfaces on my heads they had to be milled, so im at something like 9.1:1. Also with a powerstroke diesel turbo running about 11 pounds i could hit 450rwhp pretty easy.

thanks,

Drew

i mean its not that the setup is bad or its running bad i think my cam/gears are holding me back big time. I really really want to do a turbo setup and thats why i stuck with the stock cam, cause its (A) good for turbo's, favors exhaust side and (B) cheap, since i already have it. I had planned to go with 373 gears and since im gonna be running a 305/50/15 in the back (which is a 27 inch tire) it would kill the gear to about a 3.55 which would be perfect for boost, TURBO!

Drew

What size mass air for that setup?

cdog301 wow that looks nice1 I will try that on my car. He has the parts I want, and I have some of the parts you told him to get. What size mass air for that setup?