Build Thread Enola- Finishing touches

• Sponsors (?)

Okay now that I've started adding timing and pulling out fuel in the cruise ranges of the tune. The car starting to run rather warm on the highway I figure this is probably a classic case of a bad air deflector so I'm going to order a new one the one I have now is in pretty bad shape. Being different I was also wondering if there would be any benefit of taking some aluminum sheeting and making a pan that would go from the bottom of the bumper across to the bottom of the radiator core support closing off the front area of the car in front of the radiator core. I was thinking that this would force the air coming through the bumper opening through the radiator and not allow it to go around it. Any thoughts

Reactions: 1 user
I've been pondering that idea, too. I want to build a splash pan between my bumper and kmember....to pull air through the radiator like newer cars.

My core support is tubular so no air deflector for me [emoji20]

I've been pondering that idea, too. I want to build a splash pan between my bumper and kmember....to pull air through the radiator like newer cars.

My core support is tubular so no air deflector for me [emoji20]
About 10 minutes with a welder to weld some tabs on the core support would fix that...

Reactions: 4 users
Behold!...... my next failure.... may or may not be this sheet of thin aluminum!!
20160916_183458.jpg
results tomorrow after I drive to work.

Behold!...... my next failure.... may or may not be this sheet of thin aluminum!!
20160916_183458.jpg
results tomorrow after I drive to work.
Wait a minute,....I thought these cars depended on air intake from the road, deflecting up. I thought you were looking into replacing the DEFLECTOR w/ an aluminum version,..NOT totally blocking that pathway.

I don't think that there is enough cross section in the front of the car solely relying on that to cool the radiator.

But what do I know? I've never tried that.

well I had considered that, but the intercooler is so large that it almost takes up the entire space directly in front of the radiator. I figured that any deflected air would just be hitting the bottom of the intercooler and not make it through..... we shall see sir.

I could just hack a big hole in the bumper:O_o: but that would look stupid.

Reactions: 1 users
well I had considered that, but the intercooler is so large that it almost takes up the entire space directly in front of the radiator. I figured that any deflected air would just be hitting the bottom of the intercooler and not make it through..... we shall see sir.

I could just hack a big hole in the bumper:O_o: but that would look stupid.
You could mod it and put a terminator lower bumper on it.

conclusion...... the intercooler must be blocking the air from the dam... lol 95* day car got up to same temp around 212.
212 aint that hot but this concludes that the air dam is doing nothing... I will remove the sheet of aluminum and make a couple of new standoffs to pull the intercooler away from the radiator further. I think this will alleviate my issue.

conclusion...... the intercooler must be blocking the air from the dam... lol 95* day car got up to same temp around 212.
212 aint that hot but this concludes that the air dam is doing nothing... I will remove the sheet of aluminum and make a couple of new standoffs to pull the intercooler away from the radiator further. I think this will alleviate my issue.
I worry a little about when I get my beast running. I want my temps around 195. Hope my cobra bumper helps. [emoji27]

Can you expand on this?
Hopefully, on my car the cobra lower should allow more air flow. The hole is twice the size of an Lx bumper. Anyone with a little skill can make it work...especially if you have 90- 93 fenders.

Mine will be running soon so we'll see how well it works. I've got contour fans, 180 thermostat, 3 row radiator, and will be running megasquirt 2.