Build Thread Enola- Finishing touches

• Sponsors (?)

I hate to admit this but I should have taken a tig class. Lol.
What a pita! If there is more than a 1/16 gap you have to be really careful of the weld dropping in, plenty of filler to keep the puddle cooled but moving.... I got this far today.
20160124_160259.jpg

I hate to admit this but I should have taken a tig class. Lol.
What a pita! If there is more than a 1/16 gap you have to be really careful of the weld dropping in, plenty of filler to keep the puddle cooled but moving.... I got this far today.
20160124_160259.jpg

Pfft. Tig is easier than mig imo. But i spent three years doing it for a living. That was when George H. W. Bush was president though...

Got the turn in the passenger fender welded up.
20160126_181444.jpg
this one took a lot less time and fitment was better.
How much of a flow loss will occur if the air has a lip in the piping to contend with? Like when one pipe is just slightly larger than the other before welding....

Soooo what's it gonna take to get this thread dubbed BUILD?

Reactions: 1 user
20160126_181444.jpg
How much of a flow loss will occur if the air has a lip in the piping to contend with? Like when one pipe is just slightly larger than the other before welding?
Depends on which way the air is flowing past the lip. If it is going from slightly smaller ID to larger, then no worries. If the air flow hits a smaller dia. lip then it will hurt flow for sure. How much depends on pipe dia. and air flow requirements. If the pipe will supply way more air than necessary, then again nothing to worry about.

Depends on which way the air is flowing past the lip. If it is going from slightly smaller ID to larger, then no worries. If the air flow hits a smaller dia. lip then it will hurt flow for sure. How much depends on pipe dia. and air flow requirements. If the pipe will supply way more air than necessary, then again nothing to worry about.
About 450hp. I don't know what a 3" pipe is capable of flowing.

About 450hp. I don't know what a 3" pipe is capable of flowing.
Another big factor is pipe length. The longer the pipe the less overall flow. If the pipe is 3 feet long then you may want to consider a 3 1/2" dia piece. Then again, if this pipe is on the pressure side, then the 3" piece will be good enough. Pressure makes dia much much less of an issue.

20160126_181444.jpg
How much of a flow loss will occur if the air has a lip in the piping to contend with? Like when one pipe is just slightly larger than the other before welding....

Soooo what's it gonna take to get this thread dubbed BUILD?
You mean " Build", as in you do it, and don't pay somebody?, because you won't/don't/can't do it yourself, that kinda build?

Done.

Passenger side pipe is done! Turned out pretty well I think.
20160127_192929.jpg
next we hit the driver side. I am going to try and replace a 90* with a 45* bend, we shall see. It's raining like hell here now, soon that's gonna have to wait.

Reactions: 2 users
Ok so I got all of the piping done, it looks ok I guess. what it really need is a smaller intake. I will have some pics to post up tomorrow for now my wife is angry that I spent all day working on it and that it does not idle again....... lol figures

soo I have this surge issue, even with the iac unplugged to set base idle the car will idle steadyish for about 90seconds. then it will start to surge and eventually die. that tells me I must have a leak somewhere in the tubing or a previous issue has been brought to head. That I will have to figure out tomorrow.

I removed the pcv system and now I am seeing a lot of blow by..... ALOT! a constant spray of gasses coming out of the valve cover breather... :leghump: me man

30mins later.......

Engine only has 1200 miles on it since the last rebuild. I am not pulling it apart again.

I am going to put the tb back on the plenum and see what happens. I mean why would it idle like butter with it in the stock location and be such a bish ( what 10-15ft away)??? I think you see where I am going here, yup another bypass to bring the tb and plenum closer together.

Last edited:
This looks like a fun project, the reason you are probably enjoying it so much is that the m90 is known to make a lot of torque on a 5.0 pushrod engine.

If you are still looking to figure out real power numbers, back in the day the BBK instacharger was good for about 300rwhp@6lbs. Forgot the torque, but it's much higher than the hp.
Which in inline with what the explorer 5.0 kit on my saleen explorer was good for considering the guys who designed the kit (kit was easy on the explorer since there is no distributer blocking the snout) made 286rwhp with an auto trans and 2wd rear.

I had the one on my explorer ported when the shaft was repaired because the keyway slipped and the pulley messed it up.
You look like you are pretty decent at fabbing stuff up, so you could probably port yours yourself based on pics. Gets you some power up top, lowers the heat soak a little too. Not sure i'd recommend paying for it, at stegemiere a full rebuild (might as well it was there), porting, keyway repair and a new pulley cost about the same you are into this whole project, lol.

This looks like a fun project, the reason you are probably enjoying it so much is that the m90 is known to make a lot of torque on a 5.0 pushrod engine.

If you are still looking to figure out real power numbers, back in the day the BBK instacharger was good for about 300rwhp@6lbs. Forgot the torque, but it's much higher than the hp.
Which in inline with what the explorer 5.0 kit on my saleen explorer was good for considering the guys who designed the kit (kit was easy on the explorer since there is no distributer blocking the snout) made 286rwhp with an auto trans and 2wd rear.

I had the one on my explorer ported when the shaft was repaired because the keyway slipped and the pulley messed it up.
You look like you are pretty decent at fabbing stuff up, so you could probably port yours yourself based on pics. Gets you some power up top, lowers the heat soak a little too. Not sure i'd recommend paying for it, at stegemiere a full rebuild (might as well it was there), porting, keyway and a new pulley cost about the same you are into this whole project, lol.
Ported you say? Done! That's the first thing I did when I got it.... right now I'm playing hell with everything else.

You look like you are pretty decent at fabbing stuff up, so you could probably port yours yourself based on pics. Gets you some power up top, lowers the heat soak a little too. Not sure i'd recommend paying for it, at stegemiere a full rebuild (might as well it was there), porting, keyway repair and a new pulley cost about the same you are into this whole project, lol.

wow,, totally forgot about that BBK instacharger. Think that was around for maybe a year in the early 90's? Didn't Ford make a similar one back in the day?

....... uh anybody have helpful -you know input and stuff...... (crickets)

The instacharger was pretty cool I tried to find one before I started this whole fiasco.
300 you say... what about if everything is ported with a cam?

Does anyone know what effect plenum volume has on an engine? I don't mean for power output I mean for wave reversion......

It seems from some reading that a larger plenum volume causes the air to "slow down" so to speak. So the pressure drop when a cylinder opens causes a back wave that aggregates the issue. Essentially I have created a massive plenum (11ft of 3" pipe + huge IC + cobra intake) I was wondering if some of you smarter than me guys can help here. Or if I can put in a short path bypass so the tb feeds the plenum almost directly when in idle conditions, otherwise I am gonna tear all this new :poo: out and put both tb back on...