My Transmission is howling.....

• Sponsors (?)

93 teal terror said:
It howls/screams/makes weird noises on when starting out in first and is worse if on a hill. Trans fluid has been leaking out of the front for some time now.

Auto or 5 Speed? Low oil/wrong type of oil will cause all kinds of noises.

Did you check the fluid level? Make sure you pull the plug on top, not the one on the bottom, its the drain. Its on the pass. side of the car and you need a 3/8 rachet to go into the square hole. When its full it will be up the the bottom of that top plug. I used my hand vacuum pump to get the fluid up in there. There are other cheaper ways to do it, but I already had the pump. A turkey baster might work ok, just add a little at a time, cause it will come pouring out and make a mess if you put in too much. The T-5 only holds 2 1/2 qts. Mine leaks a tiny amount out of the front too, so I topped it off when I noticed this. It was 1/2 qt down. The leaks seems to have slowed even more now.

I bought a manual tranny off of Jason Fields (pro5.0) and he said that when he rebuilt it. he went .004 instead or .008 like stock. Well it has whinned for almost 2 years since I got it. I tried syncromesh and it helped a bit. But is this ok? Is it just built tighter to make it through a rough night at the track? Let me know.

Notchbck93 said:
hey teal terror, notch or hatch? Coral Reef Blue Notch here! :nice:
Hatch.....i love notches.Check out my website for more pics....http://www.cardomain.com/id/ncgrogan

I guess i should have given a little more info: Ive replaced the pilot bearing twice, flywheel was replaced once and resurfaced now, new clutch fork, new cobra clutch, steel bearing retainer, new front seal, replaced rear main, new cable and alum. quadrent, and new t/o bearing. I always fill my trans up the same way...take out fill plug and fill through shifter till fluid comes out the hole....then I stop and wait til it stops coming out of the fill hole.

If it is low on fluid the front bearing starves even more then normal and this will create that howl, if it is ignored long enough it will take out the imput shaft front brearing and anything else in it's path.

I'd check the fluid....

As far as preload on the front bearing, it should be .000-.002 at most, to much preload causes many different issues but it leads to excellerate wear and stress on the bearing/imput shaft.