My turn - winter upgrades

Ozz

I think I have a problem here.
Founding Member
Jul 27, 2001
Canton, MI
Not many pics yet but just a small taste.

New S-trim (the pic sucks but we have no sun right now; I'll replace it with a better one later):

blower.jpg

Radio DIN plate & transmission switch housing from alanw6. He gave me one in each color but I'm going with black because it'll contrast better:

din.jpg

Floor mats for show use (the high lighting and and flash made them seem much more red than they are, but you get the idea):

mats.jpg

Leather shifter (white w/red stitching) & e-brake (black w/black) boots from RedLine Goods:

boots.jpg

The big thing this year is more for enjoyment and performance rather than looks (I know, huh!) is a new 4R70W transmission (hence the OD/lockout controls in the DIN panel above) which I'll be putting in by mid-April. It's a full-custom build with full manual valve body, electric OD and lockout, all the beefy internal goodies (High Energy friction materials, Alto Red clutches direct and high grade/hardened shaft, line pressure modulation, and all the internal stuff cryogenically treated for heatin' and beatin'), custom-built 3000 stall converter, an external fluid cooler.

Also coming up are some custom door sill panels I'm working on. Got to get something done to them before I have something else done to them, then we're talkin'! :nice: Polished or brushed will look like **** against my burgundy carpet so that definitely won't fly. I want to update that area because I keep my doors open at shows, and the stock plastic ones are just ugly and dated. These new ones will be pretty slick, and best of all - as usual - unique.

Now that the blower is finally done I will hopefully get the car back together by the weekend. I had the S-trim since last summer and had to polish it, but kept putting it off out of laziness. I kept my old A-trim on the car until 87TTop came down to buy it, and by that time the car was done for the year anyway so I just left it. I'd already polished the blower but wasn't happy with it, so I redid it this weekend. Much better and clearer now but there was some pitting that just wouldn't come out no matter what I did. Can't win 'em all, but despite that the clarity is better than my old A-trim. It's all give and take, LOL.

And finally (I think), after the blower & tranny are in I'm getting another tune in person by SCT on April 21. Then we're ready for the year!

I'll update with pics when things go into the car and when the transmission arrives.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks guys. All the interior work will tie in together very nicely. All the coloring on each piece will compliment each other all around.

The door panels aren't being touched, just the actual door SILLS (which lie under the doors when shut).

Chuckman, yea that is "Eject" :rlaugh: I didn't want two blank switches so I thought I'd at least put something fun in there. I shoulda put another goofy one on the end but I didn't want to be too goofy. One was enough, at least it's even now.

Thanks guys. All the interior work will tie in together very nicely. All the coloring on each piece will compliment each other all around.

The door panels aren't being touched, just the actual door SILLS (which lie under the doors when shut).

Chuckman, yea that is "Eject" :rlaugh: I didn't want two blank switches so I thought I'd at least put something fun in there. I shoulda put another goofy one on the end but I didn't want to be too goofy. One was enough, at least it's even now.

Like afterburners or something?:D

I thought of that one! I also thought "BLING" would've been the best, but I do realize it's just as stupid as it is cool (apparently more stupid since I didn't decide to go with it) :shrug: Oh well - no biggie.

Dave, no idea if I am going to go to Carlisle yet.

I thought of that one! I also thought "BLING" would've been the best, but I do realize it's just as stupid as it is cool (apparently more stupid since I didn't decide to go with it) :shrug: Oh well - no biggie.

Dave, no idea if I am going to go to Carlisle yet.

THats cool, I'll just keep asking till you say yes or its over with:D

I think you should throw some push button start, or a finger scanner in the last button to verify its you and start the car. My buddy put the scanner in his LS1 powerd s-10 extreme and its pretty cool. He let me take it for a spin and he had to stick his finger over the thing to get its started for me!

I thought of the start but it would've had to have been on the right side and that's not exactly the most practical place for it. And if I put it anywhere else it would defeat the main purpose of filling up that switch. Alan and I still feel it looks better than just two buttons on one side and nothing on the other.

I thought of the start but it would've had to have been on the right side and that's not exactly the most practical place for it. And if I put it anywhere else it would defeat the main purpose of filling up that switch. Alan and I still feel it looks better than just two buttons on one side and nothing on the other.

at least you have expandability. if you get bored of just the s-trim you can hook a nitrous arm and purge there. or maybe an air horn:shrug:

No room for any nitrous bottles unless I change my trunk setup or put it in the interior, but I know what ya mean. I think I'd like an Ooga horn though :rlaugh:

Guys, please, don't give him any more ideas for engraving!!! We agonized for what, 5 weeks on choosing these functions, right Dave? :p

Can't wait to see the in-car shots of the panel. When are you going to swap the panels out?

Now I'm just sitting here twiddling my thumbs waiting on some door sills to show up... :nice:

Here's one of my pics of his new DIN panels, fresh off the CNC machine:

155036.jpg

The only thing I can imagine is line lock. But a recut for a panel at least would be easy since we know the rest :nice:

Bringing the sill plates in for "Stage 1" tomorrow. I meant to do it last week but forgot 'em in the morning :doh:

I'll have the DIN panel in this week. Gotta finish (buff) the honeycomb on the front of the blower before anything else :(

I've been putting it off since August, LOL. It's actually easy with some Cratex abrasive bits my friend gave me when I polished his blower. He wanted to make sure I got everywhere - Gee, thanks :crazy: But they work nicely and quickly! :nice:

My Cratex bits --->
10-812.jpg

edit: wow that pic is huge. They're only about an inch long and go onto a Dremel arbor. You go thru 'em really quick but they're quite indispensable so it doesn't matter. For the buffing I have some small pads to put onto the Dremel as well, and I'll otherwise buff it the same way I do everything else. I did the front of the honeycomb fins already and they came poifect.

Aha, I've got some of that in the shop. You can chuck it in the mill and do a "turned" finish on sheet metal parts, the pattern of circular swirls seen in 50's Diners and such. Haven't ever used it, just got my hands on some a while back.

Looks great Dave:nice: As usual, you keep coming up with things that raise the bar. Damn you:D I guess I will have to keep thinking up new and improved ideas to try to keep up with you. Unfortunately I am getting sick of re-doing things, think I will be leaving mine alone.

On another note, getting mine tuned on April 20th. Bought my SCT chip, just have to get it burned and dynoed. Looking forward to the results.

By the way, get your a$$ to Carlisle. You too Jeff.