Mystery 5.0 Engine

I need some help here. I purchased a 1986 GT last summer, and I have found that this car has a clouded history since it has changed owners several times and only one owner kept receipts. Here is what I do know.

I believe the car has had 2 previous owners that I can account for. The 1st owner I have no information about any modifications.

The 2nd owner saved receipts for various modifications including:

Headers
Bassani X-pipe w/ Cats
Flowmaster mufflers
Pulleys
"Re-man 5.0L heads"
Roller Rockers
Short Shift lever

All of these mods were done between 2001 and 2002. Sometime around early 2003, the car was sold back to the 1st owner. I don't believe anything else was done to the car after 2002 until I bought it.

I spoke to the second owner over the phone recently, and he confirmed that he had roller rockers installed, as well as GT-40 heads from Jeg's. I didn't find any receipts for a purchase of any cylinder heads. Also, the 2nd owner told me it still had the stock camshaft when he sold it.

At the time that I purchased the car, the 1st owner informed me that the car had an aftermarket camshaft in it, but that he did not know what brand or profile it was. I believed that it has a fairly-aggressive cam in it because the speed-density system won't idle correctly. The idle goes up and down between 1,000 RPM and 1,500 RPM slowly. I got the car dyno'd and the shop said the valves were floating at just over 5,000 RPM.

The question I have for all of you is can I determine if I really have GT-40 heads without removing them? Is there a marking somewhere on them that will let me know for sure? Also, is there any way to determine if the camshaft is not stock? For instance, could I take a valve cover off, turn the crank slowly and measure how far the valves move?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

BugBomb said:
I need some help here. I purchased a 1986 GT last summer, and I have found that this car has a clouded history since it has changed owners several times and only one owner kept receipts. Here is what I do know.

I believe the car has had 2 previous owners that I can account for. The 1st owner I have no information about any modifications.

The 2nd owner saved receipts for various modifications including:

Headers
Bassani X-pipe w/ Cats
Flowmaster mufflers
Pulleys
"Re-man 5.0L heads"
Roller Rockers
Short Shift lever

All of these mods were done between 2001 and 2002. Sometime around early 2003, the car was sold back to the 1st owner. I don't believe anything else was done to the car after 2002 until I bought it.

I spoke to the second owner over the phone recently, and he confirmed that he had roller rockers installed, as well as GT-40 heads from Jeg's. I didn't find any receipts for a purchase of any cylinder heads. Also, the 2nd owner told me it still had the stock camshaft when he sold it.

At the time that I purchased the car, the 1st owner informed me that the car had an aftermarket camshaft in it, but that he did not know what brand or profile it was. I believed that it has a fairly-aggressive cam in it because the speed-density system won't idle correctly. The idle goes up and down between 1,000 RPM and 1,500 RPM slowly. I got the car dyno'd and the shop said the valves were floating at just over 5,000 RPM.

The question I have for all of you is can I determine if I really have GT-40 heads without removing them? Is there a marking somewhere on them that will let me know for sure? Also, is there any way to determine if the camshaft is not stock? For instance, could I take a valve cover off, turn the crank slowly and measure how far the valves move?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There is a small 40 cast in them on the lower corner of the heads. Down near where the lower ehad bolts are.