Mystery Oil ????

awwyea

Jan 12, 2004
Central MA
Alright, I have been scratching my head over this for months now. Where is my oil going??? It's not leaking out on the ground. It's not in the air filter. Tail pipes are clean, no soot. So who keeps stealing the oil???

I switched from 5w/30 to 5w/20 and still the oil goes down about a quart ever 2-3 weeks. What's up with this??? :shrug: :shrug: :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

awwyea said:
Not even a puff. The hubby has followed me for long periods of time thru various degrees of traffic and there isn't even a hint that it's consuming the oil.

the only other thing that i can think of is, i remember hearing people complain about the dipstick being off on some of the newer gt's :shrug:

We've tried letting it run in the driveway with the hood up, no smoke. That's what's so weird. There isn't a speck of oil on the undercarriage. We put it up on our lift on a regular basis for oil changes, etc and I check it from stem to stern. The engine has 90k miles on it now.

Could it be old age???? :(

awwyea said:
We've tried letting it run in the driveway with the hood up, no smoke. That's what's so weird. There isn't a speck of oil on the undercarriage. We put it up on our lift on a regular basis for oil changes, etc and I check it from stem to stern. The engine has 90k miles on it now.

Could it be old age???? :(

:scratch: that's odd... the oil's got to go somewhere :shrug:

are you sure you're filling it up enough?? after you fill the car up w/ oil when you're done changing it, make sure you check the oil. Start the car up and let the needle on the oil pressure gauge shoot up. then, turn the engine off. take out the dipstick, wipe it and replace it. then take it out again to check to see if its at the right level.
How many qts. do you put in it each time???

Two things could be happening here - either the oil level is not being checked properly (lord knows it is nearly impossible to read the dipstick) or oil is simply be burned off without being detected. I'd kinda think it's the former, since we all know the dipstick of these gen2 stangs is a POS. Who freaking thought that making it out of aluminum foil and having 20 twists in it should be taken out back and shot. It is a PITA to ck, especially is the oil is clean. It just hard to tell at exactly what level the oil is at. Are you sure you are really losing oil? And on a separate note, does anyone know of an aftermarket dipstick that is easier to use the the OEM one for the mod 4.6?

I have the same prob, but i found out where mine was goin. My car never leaks just sitting in a driveway. There are times if i drive for a long time it does a quarter size drop, but most the time there is no leak. So I was wondering where could it go. I checked the oil plug, dipstick and found nothing. Then when I gave up I looked at my exhaust pipes and bam.. oil splashed along the sides all the way down to the rear end, Thats when I foound out it was my rear main seal.

It's a 99 w/ 90K miles. The only mods I have are a custom chip, 4.10's and a K&N filter so I don't believe I am overpowering a tired engine.

I am guessing the rings are the culprit myself, but it's my daily driver, slave mule and race horse. It's not an option to tear it down until the winter time when its snowing. I hate having to drive anything else but my Stang. I guess I will continue to add the oil and make plans for working on a rebuild come Xmas.

Streetstang - yes I am filling it up. I add oil to the new filter, then fill it with the remaining 5 qts.

Sorry Dan, I am not a bro... my hubby thought that was funny :rlaugh: