Fox Na 306 E7te Heads 368hp/363tq

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, that's where I'll start, calculators tell me it wants 7200... figure 6800 shift light should put me handy 7200ish shift in 1st and 2nd, then I'll watch the tach a little closer on the 3rd-4th change... should have time by then.
With the 2.95 1st gear, and a power band that only starts to sing above 4000... the 4.56's make it a delight on the street.
I previously had 4.10's with a 3.35 1st gear for 13.735 overall 1st.
Now have 4.56's with 2.95 first gear for 13.452 overall 1st.
I can now use my 5th gear all the way down to 55mph... way better than with the 4.10's. Unfortunately, the 4.56's put me driving around town in 4th between 2400 and 3000rpm ... oh well :evil:

Reactions: 1 users
Made it to the track last night, air was good early, steadily got worse.
Given that the air got worse, but the car picked up mph I'm thinking the nut behind the wheel is moving in the right direction.
Did not power shift last night, been 13 years since I have been a power shifting fool, and I did not want to throw a run away with missed shift, however I did just that on the first run... missed 3rd. Oops.
Time slips...
P1120672%20-%20Copy_zpsq2aenxfr.jpg

Video that my lovely wife took with her phone. Lonely night for her sitting in the stands, then heading to the pits to listen to me disect the runs, so I really appreciate her putting up with it.

Reactions: 6 users
Don't mean this to be taken as rude but is 12.2 good? I thought with this fully built car he'd be low 11's. Is the DA that bad? I'm not that knowledgable with that. School me!
Not rude at all.
The Et's you see on the forums that are so impressive are almost always set by cars weighing in around 2700lbs without driver, have a track focused suspension, and are almost always set in late September early October over on the north east coast where density altitude will get into the -500 foot or better range.
My car is full weight, full interior, all sound deadening in tack, all steel body and original glass, power steering, power brakes etc., etc ... 3270 race weight.
The suspension is basic, non adjustable simple stuff that rides/works great driving around town.
Running "stock" heads that breath ~220cfm.
It is far from a stripped and dialed track oriented "race car".
As you can see from my notes (missing shift points) there is some left in the car, and, I was "granny" shifting.
Given all that, the 12.2 isn't bad. Yes, it could be better with driver getting more experience, and, I'll get there... was my first time out on DOT's in 13 years, and I've not been to the track in a little over 2 years (2 years, 1 month and 1 week) so I'm rusty. I'm not going to strip the car down to 2700lbs, and I'm not going to turn it into a 25 cent K-Mart pony ride for cruising the streets in the name of 60 foot.
I guess it looks like I'm making excuses but it's not intentional, I'm trying to answer your question, or explain why it's not where you would think it to be.

Go to any online calculator and drop my race weight down to 2860 (2700lb car, 160lb driver) and without factoring in air, the car goes 11.54 @ 117.13
Take that 11.54 @ 117.13 and correct for 2280 air, and bam, you have your 11.194 @ 120.278.
So your thinking is correct were it a "fully built" car. Matter of fact, it is spot on.

So yes, turn it into a car like the ones you see setting the ET's world on it's head, and run it at Englishtown or Miriamichi Dragway (where I have experience) in October, and you have a low 11 second car.

To give you an idea of how much density altitude can effect a car I have a personal example.
When my car was all stock with the exception of off road H pipe and 3.73 gears it ran 13.2 @ 101 in October at Miramichi Dragway... northeast coast.
I moved to Phoenix AZ, no changes to the car... 13.9's at 96... went to full exhaust and ran 13.7's at 97-98.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
was just talking with an old racer friend... in the early 2000's he had fox Capri, 306 with Eddy heads, carb, big cam and all the suspecting support items... car made a little over 350 at the wheels which was a lot back then for a 306... anyways it ran 11.70's in decent desert air which was really fast for a n/a 306 back then. It was a dedicated race car.
I asked him what it weighed... 2630lbs. !zoinks!
500lbs lighter than my car... I have no idea how he got it there but there you have it.

Reactions: 1 users
well, it was a little over 118*F here last weekend...
car is being put up for the summer... need to pull the race wheels/tires off, throw the radials on, gas her up and get out the battery tender.