NC emissions law

• Sponsors (?)

That is actually correct. They are going to be doing a visual inspection only on 95 and older cars with the OBDII hook up on the 96 and up cars. I guess they figure not too many of them left on the road anyway after 10 years. I personally am looking forward to it, since i just had to spend a lot of BS and time to get mine to pass the sniffer this year

Wow are you serious.....that sux....I just blew money on a new cat h pipe too...... :bang:

I really am surprised though.....our state doesnt exactly have a good track record air quality wise. The Smokies is the worse polluted National park in the nation. Maybe they think that adding an HOV lane in charlotte will solve things :rolleyes:

Oh well, not complaining....are you sure this is all across the state? I know now that some places dont require emissions at all. I wonder if they are going to make the entire state pass emissions for 95 and newer and maybe they think that will cancel out the other? :shrug:

93 teal terror said:
Wow are you serious.....that sux....I just blew money on a new cat h pipe too...... :bang:

I really am surprised though.....our state doesnt exactly have a good track record air quality wise. The Smokies is the worse polluted National park in the nation. Maybe they think that adding an HOV lane in charlotte will solve things :rolleyes:

Oh well, not complaining....are you sure this is all across the state? I know now that some places dont require emissions at all. I wonder if they are going to make the entire state pass emissions for 95 and newer and maybe they think that will cancel out the other? :shrug:

In Harnett County we dont have emissions yet, but they plan on it by 06.......

I looked it up it said the tailpipe testing for older cars was to expensive, I'm glad they did away with it because now I can run any cam or heads I want. You probably didnt waste your money on a cat h-pipe because they will probably still check for cats during the visual.....I'll probably get one and gut the cats so I dont gotta take it on and off every year.

mattkimsey said:
I looked it up it said the tailpipe testing for older cars was to expensive, I'm glad they did away with it because now I can run any cam or heads I want. You probably didnt waste your money on a cat h-pipe because they will probably still check for cats during the visual.....I'll probably get one and gut the cats so I dont gotta take it on and off every year.

that is correct. I know those machines are very finicky and wree always having problems and required different gasses on them to help do all of the readings and it was expensive to maintain. With the OBDII hook up, it is pretty simple to do, and also from what I have seen the state is trying to implement that across the state as well, so it should be a statewide thing. Now, that doesn't mean by 2006 that something wont change, but so far that is the plan

yes

yeah...by January 2007 all cars 95 and older will get a Safety only inspection (visual inspection)...however we are still supposed to fail the vehicle if any exhaust problems are found (leaks, no cats, etc..)

I hope that catches on down here in GA... i'm gettin' tired of havin' to bolt on my catted h-pipe when I need to pass and TRYING to find someone who can hold my car at the specified RPM's for the required time.... only found 1 guy who seems to be able to do it thus far.