ned info on 88 merkua 4 cyl turbo

oldskolbus

Founding Member
Apr 30, 2002
WV
my brother can get an 88 merkua xr4ti that is totalled cheap. what I need to know is will it(eng/tranny) fit in a 83-84 mustang. he has a spare body and wants to know it it will match up. If anyone can do a carfax for me :nice:

vin wfibt80wxjm692208

it says 54,000 miles would like to know if it was 154,000
it is a 2.3 5spd turbo

any help thank you in advance

• Sponsors (?)

The motor is the same as every other 2.3 turbo found in the SVO, Turbo Coupe, Turbo GT, Etc...it will fit just fine. The trans is a T9 only found in that car...pick up a T5 trans, bolt it in the mustang and go.

thanks for the help stinger. If he don't get it I will. I have a coupe body just waiting for a transplant.

What kind of horspower does this eng make stock?, modified? What needs to be done? I've owned 2 4 cyl before I got the 5.0, how are the turbo ones??

Anyone

whats wrong with the merk?
I shutter at the thaught of another merk going to the crusher because of a transplant.
I dont like any car to go to the crusher unless it is completely useless. Merks handle better than stangs. they may be ugly, but they grow on yah!!

TF

yeah, kinda of ugly. looks like a late 80's saab. my friend just got a running one. 88 i think. he washed it with a cleaner called "awesome". it was like wet sanding the car. the paint was really dirty. now just needs a buff. btw, he may pull the engine and harness, so if anyone interested in the shell, or maybe the whole car. let me know. I too, don't like seeing good cars crushed

oldskolbus said:
What kind of horspower does this eng make stock?, modified? What needs to be done? I've owned 2 4 cyl before I got the 5.0, how are the turbo ones??

Stock is 175hp, 240lb/ft or so

Modified is somewhere between 176hp and 850hp...

My sig below is filled with modified 2.3 turbos...

damn! I feel sorry for the biker. the worst part I think would be the human remains plastered and embeded in the car.

might be bad, might not. the frame is prolly not bent though.
Yuk, what an ugly picture.