Nedd advise on buiding a 12 sec sleeper

• Sponsors (?)

autoXr1 said:
Something wrong with your current combo? You should be deep in the 12's by now. Traction issues?

No my current combo runs low 12's @ 113 MPH.. I just bought a 1989 LX 5.0 5 speed that is bone stock right down to the factory exhaust and air silencer.

I would like to make this 1989 a 12 second sleeper that looks completely factory stock. I want to do all the work to the stock components such as porting the heads and intake etc...

I managed to get my LX to run 13.10 at 105mph with a c4 and a 2400 stall. The car with a T5 and launching much higher rpm, would have easily run in the 12's at about 107. I lost 2 mph going automatic. The set up was stock bottom end stock heads, stock cam. Mac shorty headers 1 5/8 unequal, pro-chamber h-pipe from mac, 3 chamber flowmasters, march ram air, underdrive crank pulley, 1.72 roller rockers, 160 degree thermostat, performer intake, and 65mm throttle body, 3.73 gears, Taurus electric fan, timing at 14, flaming river manual rack and pinion, and 190lph fuel pump. The car weighed 3020lbs plus driver. Best set up i ever had. Perfect drivability, good gaz milage with the t5 of course. Very quite, and a real sleeper. My only regret was the c4, and the too low of a stall. It took alot of fun away from the car, but it was very consistent even on the street. Light to light I would blow the doors off my brothers big block chevy running in the low 12's. :D

347 Shortblock
Black painted AFR 205's
Custom cam (so it dont lope)
Hogged out Cobra Intake
Injectors of your Choice
Big MAF in stock or homemade intake
70mm TB
Black UD pulleys
200 Shot hidden under black tubing
Regulator

shifter
clutch
alum DS

4:10's
ET streets with the letters shaved on 10 Holes
full rear suspension, painted black

sneaky....

This is my SLEEPER,with slicks and on the bottle 12s maybe 11s.Haven't been to the track yet................but soon :D Check sig for mods. What do you think......SLEEPER??

stang2.jpg

myroc said:
This is my SLEEPER,with slicks and on the bottle 12s maybe 11s.Haven't been to the track yet................but soon :D Check sig for mods. What do you think......SLEEPER??

stang2.jpg

I would call this a sleeper. Those numbers and it's a convertible??? Oh yeah, that's a sleeper.

I consider my car a sleeper. Looks completely stock other then the wheels and its more quiet then a stock stang. The only time you would know that it has anything under the hood is when you get on it hard. By that time I'm so far ahead of you that you would be lost for words...hehehe.
12.6@121mph 470rwhp/475ft/lbs torque.

Brads Coupe said:
I consider my car a sleeper. Looks completely stock other then the wheels and its more quiet then a stock stang. The only time you would know that it has anything under the hood is when you get on it hard. By that time I'm so far ahead of you that you would be lost for words...hehehe.
12.6@121mph 470rwhp/475ft/lbs torque.

Just a question. Are you spinning through every single gear?

damn that convertible is the ultimate sleeper IMO that looks like somebody id try to run too lol, the pony rims and everything clean and stock makes it look perfect. what size tire are u running on the back ? cant be easy getting that thing to hook

Do a search on Thumper460 & Tmoss. Thumper's ported stock heads & Tmoss's ported stock lower with a good cam & proper traction will definitely get you into the 12's with a T5 & gears.

Michael Yount said:
Yeah, mine's a sleeper....

I dunno man....even though it's a Volvo, something about it screams "i'll kick your ass in the corners if i don't pass you in the straights"

I think my car's a sleeper. Stock 10 holes, no tint, crappy paint, different colored hood...lol Then again, it's not in the 12s yet, but it will be...

A nice 12 second sleeper would be a plain-jane car, fox or coupe, no crazy body kit, no wing (coupes are better for this since they look right without a wing) and a stock hood if you can get away with it. Personally, if i went total sleeper, i'd get the quietest exhaust i could find, and a really quiet supercharger (i'd prefer turbo but i've never heard a quiet turbo). No badges except maybe LX on the trunk, no tint, stock wheels.

I've even thought about cutting the tail pipes before they completely cross over the back of the rear axle, and rigging up a stock size single exhaust just for kicks.

Truthfully, I never considered any Mustang a 'sleeper.' I liek to see wild cars and I like to see stock looking cars (the latter is my preference at the moment), but I've never assumed that a car was slow because it didn't have a big hood or loud exhaust, etc.

If you want a "sleeper" just stick to the basics, go for functionality more than big names and the newest, most expensive parts.

lol i was just going to say the same thing, when i see a mustang i always consider it may be a nap time special by design..........
you guys got me thinkin though, perhaps the best sleeper 5.0's would be totally stock looking aod cars..............hmmmmmmmmmmmm