Need a good Clutch!! Sugestions Please!!!

ironhead498

Dec 6, 2008
My 89 GT is making 510hp and 500ftlbs to the rear wheels. It's a full interior street car with 17" 03 cobra wheels that weighs around 3500lbs with me in it.

I need to put in another clutch and need some input on what guys are using in their cars with similar hp with good results.

When I put the turbo kit on last summer I also put in a Ram Power Grip HD that was supposto be good for 650hp. Well It didn't last 1500 miles and one trip to the drag strip before it finaly let go! It did ok at first but it slowly started slipping here and there with heavy loads, and finaly completly gave up at the strip trying to lauch it.

I've been looking at a couple of the twin disc set-ups, but good lord they are $$$. If that's what it takes then so be it, but I keep reading mag. articles and seeing different stuf on the net with guys running 700hp and single disk clutches.

Sorry for the long post, but any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!

Paul

• Sponsors (?)

I've got one of the older 3550 TKO's with 26spline input shaft in it now.

I'm on the verge of what this trany can handle, but I'm going to use it till it grenades!:D I only make it to the track once or twice a year, so aslong as I keep the powershifting to a mimum I hope I can get another year or two out of it.

A Stage 3 SPEC will hold it, but it is pretty aggressive even in the 6 puck form. I currently have a customer with a McLeod 900 that is holding 660/609 to the tire in a turbo car, when it gives up to the ghost Im installing a dual disc.

Truly a dual disc is the way to go, nice soft pedal, and it will hold what ever you trow at it. SPEC, McLeod and Fidanza all make nice units, some are made to work with your current flywheel, others include a flywheel with it ;)

So if I don't want to keep replacing clutches every year I should go the dual disk route is what your saying.

I was kinda leaning that way. Was looking at the Mcloed RST or the RXT kits cause you can use a stock type flywheel, and since I put in a Ram billet flywheel just this last time I would like to reuse it if I can.