Need a little help with quadrant, cable, and adjuster install.

90mustangGT

I felt sorry for girls because
Founding Member
Jan 15, 2002
Dallas, GA
I just need a few tips and to know what tools work best. I am a mechanic but it is pretty rare we mess with things like quadrants. The cable and adjuster don't look to be a problem except the cable doesn't want to come out of my stock quadrant. Should I just tug the crap out of it with pliers while holding up on the clutch pedal, or should I just remove the cable at the tranny end first to give it a little extra play?

BTW: It is the Maximum Motorsprots package I am installing.

• Sponsors (?)

Disconnect the cable from the clutch fork to give you some slack. Then you can get under the dash and remove the cable from the quadrant. That's the simplest way that I know of. Start at the bottom to remove the old factory "junk"....then work your way up. Install the new from the inside out..
should be about a 30 minute job.. :D :D

Jim

Dikes. Definately the easiest. Dike it off, and use a new cable. otherwise, yes- what 88gt said. The quadrant is held on with two cotter pin/ spring clip type things- if you take them out and slide the quadrant off first, you can easily remove the cable without jacking up the car. This goes for getting the new quadrant in too- hook the cable on the new quadrant on the pickup you want, slap a piece of electrical tape over it to keep it from popping off, and slide the quadrant on to the posts and you're done no sweat. Oh, not that you don't already know this, but make sure the firewall adjuster is screwed all the way into the firewall first to.