Need a Motor

gtstangau

Jan 9, 2006
Alabama
So I have a stock 2V that is burning oil pretty bad and I need to find a replacment for it. I am on a real tight budget an was wondering what the cheapest route to go on building one of these motors. Is the stock block worth building or should I look for a new shortblock assembly? I would like to build a decent motor with forged internals how much would something like that cost? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

teksid block from a 98 or so cobra. 90 or so lbs...look on ebay for that(like $500)
eagle rotating assembly. $2100 but worth it...on ebay too.
then if you want port your old heads. upgrade cams and valvesprings. keep the intake or get a aftermarket and your other parts and your good to go.

Hitting the junkyard is always a good idea. You could try to get the MMR 900 forged shortblock for like $3k. Try to get a personal loan through a bank for 24 months for about $3k. Shouldnt be that hard

I think it would be a VERY bad idea to get a personal loan to build a performance engine. Find a stock shortblock or complete engine to swap in for cheap.
The stock 4.6 is fairly strong, and can hold 420rwhp no problem. They can also go 300k+ miles if taken care of... just think about all the taxi cabs running a 4.6 with 3-400k miles. Get a 4.6 from a junk yard and swap it in.
I pulled a mark VIII shortblock from my local junk yard for under 120$ out the door. A complete engine would be easier to pull and swap in, and would have run around 250$. You can replace the engine in your stang for under 150$ if you do the work yourself. There are always lots of 4.6s in the junk yards, from crown vics, thunderbirds, lincolns, ect.

Well thats the problem i already put one junkyard motor in it. Unfortunatley someone sprayed it before I got it an burned the rings out of it so it is burning oil. So I need to build me a brand new motor hopefully just get some forged internals port an polish the heads an throw some stage 2 cams in it an put all new seals and gaskets how much do you think that would run? I can do all the labor myself other than the machine work.

I see teksid's for $275-300 all the time. I build my forged shortblock for extremely cheap by slowly peacing it together through deals i'd find. Don't spend 2100 on a rotating assembly. You can find a used cobra crank (well i can) for $170 - and they basically never go bad from normal use.

a buddy of mine has got the crank out of a 5-speed mach1 i can get for cheap so i will just need some rods an pistons. I will probablly just go with .30 bore will the teskid block work with 2v heads and timing cover?

i wouldnt be suprised if your engine burning oil had nothing to do with a shortblock. do a leakdown test before you dump a bunch of money in it. you might be leaking oil through valve guides... if so you could either rebuild the stock heads or do a swap while you have em out.

whatever the case, i reccomend a leakdown test (something a local shop will do cheap) before you buy a new engine.

Well thats the problem i already put one junkyard motor in it. Unfortunatley someone sprayed it before I got it an burned the rings out of it so it is burning oil. So I need to build me a brand new motor hopefully just get some forged internals port an polish the heads an throw some stage 2 cams in it an put all new seals and gaskets how much do you think that would run? I can do all the labor myself other than the machine work.

oops, missed this post:D have you done a leakdown test to make sure its the rings and not a valve guide?

a buddy of mine has got the crank out of a 5-speed mach1 i can get for cheap so i will just need some rods an pistons. I will probablly just go with .30 bore will the teskid block work with 2v heads and timing cover?[/QUOTE]

i've always wondered the same thing. The teskid block is out of a 4v. Can you build up the Teskid block with 2v parts and drop it into a GT?
Sorry if this seems like a dumb question.... :(