Need advice on high hp clutch

REDZERZO

Sep 18, 2010
SD CA 619
I have a 94 mustang cobra just up graded to a V-2 si trim vortech supercharger,Edel brock intake and 40lb injectors.So now my king cobra clutch wont hold and is pretty much done.So big question what kinda clutch should I look in to anybody have any ideas?Had the car on a dino but the dino wasn't working right wouldn't read past 3500rpms.But at that the car was making 370rwhp 450ftlb.And I'm thinking of putting a 75hp wet shot of nos.Car is street and track used mostly street though.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm pretty faithful to the SPEC clutches. SPEC 3 or higher will do ya. Rated to 680 ft. lb. of torque. You can step it up to a 3+ or 4+ for 800 ft.lb. torque rating.

Kurt

ProMotion is run by some guy who sub contracts all his work to another light duty transmission shop in Lauderdale. I've met the guy. He's not exactly a bastian of knowledge.

Kurt

Kurt, who are you talking about at Promotion? And what are you talking about regarding the CF clutches?

Signing on for the discussion about promotion. I've spoken to a guy there that seemed pretty knowledgeable to me, but then again, I'm not a transmission guy.

Signing in as well, Walt the owner is a wealth of knowledge and has some interesting products/profiles for clutches.....We ran some in our race stuff years back, and I have talked with his tranny guy when I had some questions about a customers G-Force trans I was working on.

Back to topic, I am a huge SPEC fan, otherwise Fidanza, Mcleod and Promotion have good products. I am running a modified Series 800 McLeod on a customers car that makes 700HP/TQ with great results.

I've always ran SPEC brand clutches. Currently have the Stage 3 Hybrid (at least thats what they called it 5-6 years ago when I bought it). I've heard McLeod's are good too.

Kurt, who are you talking about at Promotion? And what are you talking about regarding the CF clutches?

I talked to Walt about 14 years ago about T5s. He seemed ok, but not on the same level as Hanlon as far as transmission knowledge. I know back then that he didn't actually work on T5s. He had some other guy building the transmissions for him at another company. Don't remember who it was, because it was so long ago. I met the guy who actually built the transmissions for Walt. I think he was a Ford tech who did this on the side. He would kind of smirk when someone said Walt was the guy to go too.

Anyway, I started my last engine out with a Centerforce dual friction clutch. I had one on my MR2, and liked how smooth it was. Of course that's just a little 4 banger engine that probably had an oversize clutch to begin with. On this car, it started to slip on the first pass I made on the car, and when I launched it on the 2nd pass, it came out the side of the bellhousing in a fantastic cloud of dust. Anyway, when I called CF to ask them what happened, the guy answering the phone immediately asked me what kind of car I had it on. He said that the dual friction clutch is to be used on factory power cars. It is not a performance clutch, and should never be used on modified cars, and that is why mine failed. That was directly from the mouth of the centerforce sales rep. I think a lot of people get confused with the price, and the think the CF is designed for hi po Mustangs. It is really just a smoother engaging factory replacement clutch.

Kurt

Yeah, I'm running a 4+ now, which is essentially the same as a 3+ with a solid hub. Been working well so far. I think this is my 3rd SPEC clutch. They hold up pretty well, and their customer service is fantastic.

Kurt

i agree with kurt hanlon is the ****. Im keeping a spare trans that ill eventually build but some how the trans i bought for $350 shipped shifts mint. I thought it was going to be a disaster.

As far as clutches are concerned everyone here is pointing you in the right direction

If you go with the SPEC, and you can afford the + model go for it. People assume that because it has a higher torque rating it will be less street friendly. The truth is the opposite. It's a full face model, which actually engages smoother.

Kurt

I also had a few friends buy transmissions from ProMotion, and they ended up being garbage. All kinds of mis matched parts, and they didn't last long. This is a long time ago.

Kurt

If you go with the SPEC, and you can afford the + model go for it. People assume that because it has a higher torque rating it will be less street friendly. The truth is the opposite. It's a full face model, which actually engages smoother.

Kurt

That's what I think mine is. Either that or what they call a Stage 2+ now. I bought it from SPEC back at World Ford Challenge in either '05 or '06. They told me it feels more like that of a Stage 2 but the holding power of a Stage 3. It's a solid disc on one side and like 3 (or 5, can't remember) pucks of material on the other side, with the 26 spline hub. I think they told me it was a Stage 3 Hybrid. I like it, holds good and only chatters a bit when backing out of the garage or on/off the trailer.