Need advise on a turbo set up...

asalterio1

Sep 15, 2010
Hey guys,

Ive got an 89 fox body hatch and Ive made up my mind and I want it turbo'ed. I just cant seem to justify buying an s/c when turbo set ups are capable of more power per dollar. My car is bone stock besides solid motor mounts, rear sub frame connectors and full Mac exhaust. I have researched a bunch of kits but dont have one I "fell in love with." I'm also seeing if anyone has built a custom kit themselves. Being a stock 5.0L 302 and wanting around 400+ to the wheels, what is a good plan of attack?

Let me know what you guys think...Thanks!:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Hellion makes a good kit with quality components and fit....that cant be said about many of the turbo companies out there.

If you have good fabrication skills and equipent you can fab it up yourself....it is time consuming

a lot of what bites people in the ass with the turbo is the tuning with the stock ECM if you are unexperienced. with the mass air system and no tuning it will go very, very rich in the midrange if the a/f on top is right.

we made 493rwhp from an s trim on a friends stock 93 cobra engine. with a little procharger p600 we made 372 with a stock longblock in a 95 gt with a TFS track heat intake. with a bigger compressor i bet it would have easily made more power.

so 400rwhp with the blower isnt too big of a deal. on my stock longblock back in 1998 my turbo technology street kit made 361 at 8lbs. with gt40 irons and a downs upper/gt40 combo it made 488 at 12lbs.

much like everything else, a turbo is no free lunch. if its tuned correctly the headers are going to get hot, so you might wanna keep things away from the exhaust housing and downpipe.