Need advise on removing harmonic balancer

Motorhead6T5

Oct 21, 2004
Marysville,CA
I'm in the middle of my steeda U/D pulley install,and I'm having trouble getting the stock harmonic balancer off. I bought a 3 prong puller but every way I set it up it won't work. The only way it hooks up right I'm running out of length on the center bolt(the bolt you tighten to make the puller pull). Any help is appreciated. Specific tools that worked, using a BFH or any tips to help. I can't believe I got :owned: on the pulleys :nonono: lol

• Sponsors (?)

Capt Dan said:
I've used a spacer (socket or something similar) in the past, under the center bolt.

I ran into the same problem when installing the Steeda under-drive pullies.

I used an old socket that was about the same diameter as the crank shaft.
The puller screw seated itself into the hole for the 3/8 inch drive ratchet.
The screw got pretty chewed up, but the darn harmonic balancer finally came off!!!

You can also try heating the balancer up with a propane torch.

Have FUN!

Motorhead6T5 said:
Thanks guys :nice: ,I'm also thinking about putting the balancer bolt back in half way without the spacer but I'm wondering if that will be too much for the threads :shrug: . I will try the socket Idea tonight.

You do not want to stress those threads....
Unless re-tapping the crank shaft sounds like fun to you. :notnice:

I worried about the puller bolt pushing so hard on the end of the crank that the starter threads might get damaged.

Thankfully that did NOT happen.

BTW... you will REALLY enjoy the under-drive pullies!
They are a good investment.

tmcolegr said:
You will need a 3-leg puller (OTC #1026 or Sears item #00946906000)
Both of those look exactly like the one I got,am I not using it right? When I tighten the center bolt it starts pull the legs away from the dampner till fianlly the legs pop off. If I welded it where the crome pieces are so they don't move then it seems it would work. It seems like it naturally wants to pull off and would only actually work on a 3" size pulley without popping off. Yet is says it has a 7" spread. Its also a total pain in the arse to get it to fit and still get a wrench on it,are you sopposed to pull the fan and radiator? Damn this is starting to urk me...I gotta dyno appointment next week and I'm gonna be pissed if I gotta run w/o the u/d's. Well it seems I just gotta get this tool to work cause doesn't seem to be anything better. :bang:

Ok...I finaly got the damn thing off. Had to pull the E-fan out to do it,not hard to do either,it's like 4-5 little screws,the fan itself is only held in by 2. Once the fan was out it went smooth,used a spark plug socket for a spacer. I recomend to anybody...take the fan out...its 10 times easier if not 20 times. Thanks for the help guys,she will be on the road again tomorrow :D ,then back into the garage for eibach spring install :hail2:

Wont a regular balancer puller available at an auto parts store work? I havent seen the balancer on an 05, but it couldnt be that unconventional. You definately dont want to use a jawed puller, it will destroy the balancer. Hope this helps :flag:

fordman54935 said:
Wont a regular balancer puller available at an auto parts store work? I havent seen the balancer on an 05, but it couldnt be that unconventional. You definately dont want to use a jawed puller, it will destroy the balancer. Hope this helps :flag:
Do you mean like a steering wheel puller with the 3 bolts that thread in? If so there isn't any threaded bolt holes in the stock balancer. So you have to use a 3 jaw to do it. It didn't seem to damage mine,not that it matters its going in the trash anyways :D

Thanks for the info about pulling the fan, I was going to try tomorrow night. I haven't been able to break the bolt loose yet, and my neighbor's got an impact tool he can borrow from his shop to try it. I've already got the puller in the garage, little three legger that grabs the tabs in the middle, between the spokes. Looks like the Steeda has the threadded holes on those spokes for removal though.

I've actually had the pulley's longer than I've had the car, can't wait to finally get them installed.