Need An Intake Manifold

• Sponsors (?)

As far as I'm concerned an intake manifold should last the life time of the car not 15years. Only vehicle that's every had this issue for me

I'd really prefer not to put another oem in. Going to use this as an opportunity for a upgrade. Supposedly trick flo, professional products, and edelbrock intakes claimt to add 20-30hp

As far as I'm concerned an intake manifold should last the life time of the car not 15years. Only vehicle that's every had this issue for me

I'd really prefer not to put another oem in. Going to use this as an opportunity for a upgrade. Supposedly trick flo, professional products, and edelbrock intakes claimt to add 20-30hp
If your not forced induction then on a 2 valve you going to lose torque and HP down low if you don't put a frpp intake all those claims on the other ones are at redline its a waste of money but do as you like

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Things brake on cars all the time... Head warp, bearing spin, rods snap, blocks explode, intakes crack, gaskets fail and sometimes brake for no apparent reason its all just part of the game nothing lasts forever it all comes down to how you and the people that come before you treat it.

+1 for OEM plus have you seen the prices on them other intakes $400-600ish for the Professional Products, $800-1,000ish for the Trickflow and it recommends tuning, and i'm not even sure about the Edelbrock but if your looking at the one I think you are it takes a new ECU/control box to run it so its probably stupid expensive id just get a new FRPP or even pick a used one up on the cheap...

Don't be Obtuse. You drive an old car, you should expect things to break.

None of the aftermarket intakes provide any gains without mods and some even cost you torque in the lower regions.

The Professional products manifold is nearly twice the price of the stocker and has had claims of questionable fitment and quality. The Edelbrock intake is a universal design made for use with both EFI and carb coversion. In order to utilize it as an EFI manifold, you'll also need to purchase their fuel rails, lines regulator and inlet elbow. Count on being $1,000 into it before you're running. The Trick Flow intake is over $800...add another $400 for a quality oval or dual bore throttle body, since you stock round unit won't fit the manifold and you're up into the $1,200 for what will, like the Edelbrock essentially turn out to be a cosmetic piece. As stated prior, there are zero gains provided with any of these manifolds on a stock or near stock engine.

Your ONLY consideration unless you plan on sinking a lot more money into your engine should be a replacement stock intake. Don't skimp out and buy a Dorman either, as their fitment and quality is also questionable and runner volume is more restrictive than stock.

Ford used the composite intake for 3-purposes. Light weight, improved performance and minimal heat transfer. It's a good design and if it's only costing you $260 every 15-years, you're ahead of the game.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't be Obtuse. You drive an old car, you should expect things to break.

None of the aftermarket intakes provide any gains without mods and some even cost you torque in the lower regions.

The Professional products manifold is nearly twice the price of the stocker and has had claims of questionable fitment and quality. The Edelbrock intake is a universal design made for use with both EFI and carb coversion. In order to utilize it as an EFI manifold, you'll also need to purchase their fuel rails, lines regulator and inlet elbow. Count on being $1,000 into it before you're running. The Trick Flow intake is over $800...add another $400 for a quality oval or dual bore throttle body, since you stock round unit won't fit the manifold and you're up into the $1,200 for what will, like the Edelbrock essentially turn out to be a cosmetic piece. As stated prior, there are zero gains provided with any of these manifolds on a stock or near stock engine.

Your ONLY consideration unless you plan on sinking a lot more money into your engine should be a replacement stock. Don't skimp out and buy a Dorman either, as their fitment and quality is also questionable and runner volume is more restrictive than stock.

Ford used the composite intake for 3-purposes. Light weight, improved performance and minimal heat transfer. It's a good design and if it's only costing you $260 every 15-years, you're ahead of the game.

This is why I hardly participate on SN anymore, there's so much BS floating around.

Gearbanger could not have been more correct.

There are so few of us left lol

We always plan ahead with mods. If something breaks, you might as well upgrade with an aftermarket piece. Get a Professional Products Typhoon intake manifold. You will see gains in the upper RPMs. Plus, when you do mods in the future, you'll def gain more. Why spend any money on a stock manifold when the goal is to modify it in the future anyway. Get that Typhoon. I am 100% sure you'll see some differences and will be happy with it.

That is one thing I don't get about you guys. Someone's fuel pump goes and you all say "oh you might as well upgrade it now"...someone's engine goes and you all say "oh you might as well do a forged bottom end now"...trans goes and you all say "oh you might as well get that torque converter/shift kit/build that trans now"...but when we recommend someone with a cracked intake manifold to go ahead and upgrade it now you all start talking about how it is a waste and blah blah blah blah. That is silly. So your intake manifold goes, and you're gonna spend $200, plus the price of new gaskets, plus labor since not everyone has the skills/tools/time to DIY on a bone stock manifold...but getting an aftermarket one now is a waste? Makes no sense. We ALL have the intentions of modding these cars. Sure some don't get that far, but why throw away money for a stock replacement just to maybe at some point later have to take all that stock crap off all over again and re-do the entire job? Again, that is like replacing a stock fuel pump with a stock fuel pump...I just don't get you guys sometimes...

.. unless he plans on ripping the entire motor apart to replace heads or cams, yes it will be an overpriced mess. Like putting huge cams in stock heads.

Even if forced induction is in his future, the stock intake will perform... boost makes up for runner volume ect...... so why not retain stock like torque down low and let boost make power up high.??

I'm all for mods but they have to make sense and be cost effective.

Just my .02

.. unless he plans on ripping the entire motor apart to replace heads or cams, yes it will be an overpriced mess. Like putting huge cams in stock heads.

Even if forced induction is in his future, the stock intake will perform... boost makes up for runner volume ect...... so why not retain stock like torque down low and let boost make power up high.??

I'm all for mods but they have to make sense and be cost effective.

Just my .02
This is all what people say but I disagree. When you race, most of the time is spent at WOT. Driving around town, you mainly use partial throttle. So whille you might lose some low end torque down low, it'll more than make up for it up top especially at the track or when you're doing roll-ons. Putting moderate cams in stock heads also does good at WOT. It isn't ideal but that doesn't make it a waste. Of course we all want built blocks with ported 4V heads and aggressive custom cams...but we all can't have that. So when something breaks, THAT is the perfect time to upgrade. Buying a stock manifold just to take it off and try to re-sell it when you'd be hardpressed to get even $50 for it is a huge waste of money.

Well that's exactly my case I bought the new manifold frrp and a bunch of motorcraft oem parts from Rock auto, water pump, hoses, gaskets figured might as well while I'm in there. Searched my local CL and found a torq tech Ill most likkey be buying tomorrow. Waste of $250 for the frrp manifold...

Want some opinions on the torq tech kit. I will make a separate thread. Please feel free to comment

That is one thing I don't get about you guys. Someone's fuel pump goes and you all say "oh you might as well upgrade it now"...
The stock fuel pump is barely adequate to feed the stock system, never mind any serious performance mods. Not only that, but the OE pump is twice the price of the Walbro which is of equal, or better quality,

...someone's engine goes and you all say "oh you might as well do a forged bottom end now"...
When have you ever heard me say that? Actually, when have you ever head anyone say that who's intent was a stock replacement engine. Don't confuse the veterans who know what they're talking about, with the dreamers.

trans goes and you all say "oh you might as well get that torque converter/shift kit/build that trans now"...
Ahh, I see what you're doing here. You're exaggerating. Again, can't ever say I've heard anyone recommend all that for just a stock replacement.

If someone says they've got big dreams of making 600rwhp with their mod motor, they get advice that reflects those numbers. That's not the fault of the advisers, that's the fault of the member with the unrealistic goal set. So if you're hearing someone say the need to forge their bottom end, or completely upgrade their transmission, it's because they've set forth lofty goals.

but when we recommend someone with a cracked intake manifold to go ahead and upgrade it now you all start talking about how it is a waste and blah blah blah blah. That is silly. So your intake manifold goes, and you're gonna spend $200, plus the price of new gaskets, plus labor since not everyone has the skills/tools/time to DIY on a bone stock manifold...but getting an aftermarket one now is a waste? Makes no sense.

Not silly at all and makes perfect sense. The stock intake is a good quality piece and will perform on part or better than any aftermarket unit on the market unless some serious mods are performed. There have been NUMEROUS dyno tests done over the years (some of which you've seen and ignored) that prove exactly what "us guys" are saying....and what we're saying, is that without some hefty mods, an aftermarket intake is a waste of money. I'm sorry, but if someone is complaining about an intake cracking after nearly 15-years of use, they probably need to have their head checked. Nobody complains about having to do brakes, tires, front end components, replace electrical/emissions components, various sensors, stocks, struts, exhaust components, etc etc which are almost all vastly more expensive than an intake manifold.....but the moment their intake cracks on them, it's the end of the world? Sorry man, but someone with that mind set needs a reality check.

I know you've got a hard on for an aftermarket intake, because you're one of the guys who's swapped yours out for one...but we've had this discussion before. You've never done any dyno testing, nor have you any credible comparison between the two to back your "opinion". And I'm sorry, but your seat-o-the pants meter doesn't count. I swapped out a set of spark plugs as a kid I swore I could feel make a difference....but like with many mods, it was a placebo effect.....much like swapping out to an aftermarket intake on a near stock 4.6L is.

BTW, no need for new bolts or gaskets. The bolts are reusable and the stock replacement intake comes with new gaskets built in. And its pretty much one of the easiest maintenance items on the car that can be done in your driveway, with hand tools.

We ALL have the intentions of modding these cars. Sure some don't get that far, but why throw away money for a stock replacement just to maybe at some point later have to take all that stock crap off all over again and re-do the entire job? Again, that is like replacing a stock fuel pump with a stock fuel pump...I just don't get you guys sometimes...

There are mods and there are smart mods. An intake swap on a stock PI engine is not a smart mod. For that matter....neither is spending thousands of dollars on bolt ons for a 4.6L just to break 300rwhp (which is what you'll need to do BTW) instead of just springing for a power adder....but hey, if people only did smart mods, half of the aftermarket companies wouldn't be in business I suppose? The fact of the matter is, basic bolt ons are fun and for the most part, cheap....but in the grand scheme of things N/A mods are just not cost effective on the 4.6L....and intake swaps are among those mods.[/QUOTE][

This is all what people say but I disagree. When you race, most of the time is spent at WOT. Driving around town, you mainly use partial throttle. So whille you might lose some low end torque down low, it'll more than make up for it up top especially at the track or when you're doing roll-ons. Putting moderate cams in stock heads also does good at WOT. It isn't ideal but that doesn't make it a waste. Of course we all want built blocks with ported 4V heads and aggressive custom cams...but we all can't have that. So when something breaks, THAT is the perfect time to upgrade. Buying a stock manifold just to take it off and try to re-sell it when you'd be hardpressed to get even $50 for it is a huge waste of money.
You have an extremely skewed view of reality.

Let's go with the averages here. Conservatively, 95% of '96-'04 Mustang owners aren't going to as much as have a valve cover off....never mind swap cams, blower, intakes, heads, etc. But in your mind, one should always spend thousands of dollars on replacement aftermarket parts they will never utilize, because the stock replacement parts are a waste of money.

Yep....makes perfect sense. lol :rlaugh:

Regarding your logic.....take this very old, and very true to this day saying into account.

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races!

Well that's exactly my case I bought the new manifold frrp and a bunch of motorcraft oem parts from Rock auto, water pump, hoses, gaskets figured might as well while I'm in there. Searched my local CL and found a torq tech Ill most likkey be buying tomorrow. Waste of $250 for the frrp manifold...

Want some opinions on the torq tech kit. I will make a separate thread. Please feel free to comment

Dude....let me get this straight. A stock OE replacement intake is a waste of money because you're impulsive and can't make up your mind? Here's a though, have a goal and stick to it.

Let us all know how the Tork Tek swap goes....it should be a fun project....but make no mistake....this is a VERY apples and oranges comparison and really has no bearing on whether or the stock manifold is a worth while piece. Using your logic, the Professional Products, Edelbrock and Trick Flow manifolds are an even a bigger waste of money.

Reactions: 1 users
The stock fuel pump is barely adequate to feed the stock system, never mind any serious performance mods. Not only that, but the OE pump is twice the price of the Walbro which is of equal, or better quality
Wrong. I had full mods, a stage 2 cam, 24 pound injectors, 98 Cobra pistons, and an aggressive tune and the stock pump never missed a beat. The only time I had to upgrade it was when I went forced induction.

When have you ever heard me say that? Actually, when have you ever head anyone say that who's intent was a stock replacement engine. Don't confuse the veterans who know what they're talking about, with the dreamers.
The world doesn't revolve around you. And my statements certainly don't revolve around you. I had no idea you were even on this thread and certainly didn't pay attention to anything YOU particularly wrote. Calm yourself, you're not as important as you might think you are. And veteran or not, being wrong about something is being wrong just the same. Humble yourself.

[QUOTE="Gearbanger 101, post: 8925124, member: 33262"Ahh, I see what you're doing here. You're exaggerating. Again, can't ever say I've heard anyone recommend all that for just a stock replacement.[/QUOTE]
I don't exaggerate. I was making a point. There have been many many times on here where something breaks or goes wrong and we all recommend that person go ahead and do that build they were contemplating. You're acting like an arrogant child.

Not silly at all and makes perfect sense. The stock intake is a good quality piece and will perform on part or better than any aftermarket unit on the market unless some serious mods are performed. There have been NUMEROUS dyno tests done over the years (some of which you've seen and ignored) that prove exactly what "us guys" are saying....and what we're saying, is that without some hefty mods, an aftermarket intake is a waste of money. I'm sorry, but if someone is complaining about an intake cracking after nearly 15-years of use, they probably need to have their head checked. Nobody complains about having to do brakes, tires, front end components, replace electrical/emissions components, various sensors, stocks, struts, exhaust components, etc etc which are almost all vastly more expensive than an intake manifold.....but the moment their intake cracks on them, it's the end of the world? Sorry man, but someone with that mind set needs a reality check.
First off, the stock intake manifold is good only up until you start doing heads and cams and or forced induction. It won't necessarily choke the engine, but an aftermarket intake will blow that stock piece of trash away by a long shot once a vehicle is heavily modded...which we all have plans to do anyway. And nowhere did I see anyone complain about it after lasting 15 years. The stock heads, cams, rods, and pistons will last just as long, try making a lot of power and see what happens. So since you're soo content with the stock pieces because they last over 15 years, maybe you should be driving around a bone stock SN95.

I know you've got a hard on for an aftermarket intake, because you're one of the guys who's swapped yours out for one...but we've had this discussion before. You've never done any dyno testing, nor have you any credible comparison between the two to back your "opinion". And I'm sorry, but your seat-o-the pants meter doesn't count. I swapped out a set of spark plugs as a kid I swore I could feel make a difference....but like with many mods, it was a placebo effect.....much like swapping out to an aftermarket intake on a near stock 4.6L is.
Oh yes I actually do have a hard on for the aftermarket. I would even do an Edelbrock intake manifold over the stock piece of garbage. The ONLY reason why I constantly recommend the Typhoon more than any other intake is because it is priced decent compared to the others AND it is a direct replacement that comes with everything needed for install. Unlike the Edelbrock which requires other parts that aren't included and re-routes the fuel lines and other stuff. So yea, I absolutely LOVE the Typhoon. And yes, ESPECIALLY since I have one. See, I comment about stuff I have actually tried. Whereas you talk about all these dyno comparisons which I have never actually seen. Until you actually get one, don't sit here trying to ridicule those of us who do. And for the record, trying to humiliate me by saying I have a hard on for the Typhoon doesn't work. I openly admit how satisfied I am with it and I openly encourage anyone to try it. If you don't like it, then thats you, it ain't for everyone. But regardless, I have a hard on for it and you obviously have something against it. What that is I can't imagine nor do I care.

And I don't care about your take on the seat of the pants meter. I don't care about how some kid thought spark plugs gave him extra power. If his plugs were bad, and you replaced them, then it probably cleared up the acceleration and improved the engine's performance relative to the bad plugs. So yes, it did give him improved performance especially if he had been driving around on those plugs for a significant amount of time and gotten used to them. I had a Lincoln Mark VIII that had bad coils. It still ran decent tho. I replaced the coils with good ones and it made a night and day difference. It doesn't ADD performance, it RESTORES performance when old worn out stuff is replaced with new stuff. A veteran like yourself should know this.