Need an Opinion- Classic Car Storage Facility

What Do you think of this Idea?

• Yeah, it's a great idea!

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • I think I may be able to use something like this in my area?

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • You guys are off your rocker and should throw the idea out!

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
In my capstone class for Business, we were assigned to develop a full business plan for a storage facility. During the resulting slew of ideas, one of the two concepts we focused on was a self & full service storage facility for classic & high end cars.

One part of the facility would cater to short and long term storage of high end cars for clients such as those that come for Barret Jackson and many other shows.

The main part of the facility would provide 1 car garages for local hobbyists with room enough to work on the car in the stall and store tools.

There will also be covered stalls and garages for high end RV's and boats.

What do you guys think? Would you find something like this useful? How much would you pay for a garage? What other services would you like to have?

Thanks for your input!

• Sponsors (?)

I think cost for such a service would be determined by a couple of things, such as demand, location, and services provided. I assume the storage facility would be totally climate controlled of course. As for what kind of services to provide, how about starting the cars on a regular basis to keep the fluids circulated for those in long term that are not drained. Another Idea would be detailing when the owner is coming to pick it up for a show or what-ever. If you are talking Barret-Jackson quality cars how about armed guards and attack dogs patrolling the facility :D .

Yes, great idea! I have thought of the same kind of set-up in an area where winter storage is a must for car buffs.

I'll give you some of my intents:
-24 hour access with full time attendent.
-Controlled climate conditions.
-Individual car/motorcycle storage areas, fenced off from the inside and locked.
-Central work area with lifts.
-Wash bay area.
-Tool rental.
-Roller (dyno type) run up area to simulate driving for full warm up of drive train.

The plan is to have a place where car guys can store and work on their cars and be able to simulate driving them so as to keep them in tip top running order. That way when the weather breaks all that's needed is to open the outside door and drive off. :D One big thing that would hinder this is liabilty, even with the insurance one bad apple with a/or an accident and a good lawyer, you could be shut down. :(

.....also the red tape of inspections because of hazardous wastes, traps needed to catch any water run offs (it's illegal to let water run off into the storm drains from a business), and other enviromental concerns. Also, you'd be on a fixed income and would have to raise rents occasionally. Enclosed secured rental spaces that can fit a car would run around $200/month in a storage yard here, so I opt for an outside space at $75/month. It's a nice idea, wish you luck if it is possible.

Wow 2nd, $75 a month for an outside storage space, That sounds steep, we pay $25 a month to store our camper which is a little bigger than a car.

Hotrodnut, I like the idea of having an area with lifts to work on the cars and a tool rental. Good thoughts. Would you also have a certified ASE mechanic on staff as a consultant. This would be similar to the Auto hobby shops that the military used to have (some may still have) on many of it's bases.

we used to have a couple of hobby shops here in town and one of them even had a paint booth. my brother and i have been kicking around the idea of a storage facility for classics as well. what we were thinking about was indoor/covered outdoor and a choice of climate controlled and non climate controlled for the indoor area.

we also want to open a restoration/hot rod type shop specializing in resto-mod/pro-touring type cars and the storage facility would be an added service of the shop.

the main goal of the storage facility would be providing storage, of course, for the classic and high end type cars and the outdoor storage area would be similar to a high end wrecking yard with paved, or at least gravel with hot patch type paving, with an eight foot tall sheet metal type fence and covered but with chain link and barbed wire from the metal fence to the "roof" with the roof being the type like you see at lumber yards, etc. basically red iron with corrugated sheet metal. the idea would be keep parts cars and/or less "needy" cars out of the sun and rain but not necessarily protected from heat and cold, basically a just giant carport type structure.

the customer would allowed to do some work on their own cars in the storage facility but mostly we like to have any work done at the shop, since the shop would be a full service place for muscle cars and hotrod type vehicles down to oil change and detail shop type services as well as full restos and stuff too.

plans may even include a speed shop/resto parts type thing as well. as far as i know this would be the only such complete facility in the US that would cater so heavily to the collector car market, however the reall high end cars, like ferrari's, vipers, dusenbergs and such would have to go somwhere else for service and such beyond oil changes and detailing services. that is a market we really don't want to get into, storage (up to a certaim value) would not be a problem however. obviuosly a place like this would require some serious backing though so at this time it isn't really all that feasible for us, but that is the dream we have.

jes72mustang said:
Wow 2nd, $75 a month for an outside storage space, That sounds steep, we pay $25 a month to store our camper which is a little bigger than a car.

Well, that's the difference between southern california and central pennsylvania.

I think a storgae facility that is climate controlled would be a good idea, but when you start catering to other wants, it starts to get tricky. First, most Barrett-Jackson types can afford their own facilities. They won't need your facility. Second, this whole lift, maintenance, repair stuff sounds like an insurance and scheduling nightmare. Say you pull your tranny and your replacement has a missing part or can't go in right away. Now you have guys tying up lifts with half dissassembled cars, holding people behind them up, etc. I don't think I could ask for enough money as a business owner to put up with that hassle.

I think a general car friendly climate controlled storgae facility would be the best you could get away with, depending on the market.

jes72mustang said:
Hotrodnut, ........... Would you also have a certified ASE mechanic on staff as a consultant......

Yep, my Son is working towards the ASE certification now. :nice:

This thread has brought up some interesting ideas and things to consider and maybe someone will be able to get something put together in the areas that such a facility would be useful. :flag:

$75/month is one of the lower end ones nearby my home. The rent was just raised earlier this year from $65/month. There aren't very many vacant spaces. There's a 65 Nova and a 65 GTO parked near my Stang, also boats, RVs, dune buggies, trailers, motorhomes, etc. Demand dictates price.