NEED ANSWER QUICK

vladasap

Apr 26, 2006
nyc, ny
i just installed new lifters, rockers and p.rods. I heard a lifter making lots of noise and the car had a very noticable misfire, so i decided to refresh the valve train,
in the process i changed the spark plugs.

The car is still misfiring really wildly. :bang::bang::bang:

I had a buddy of mine replace the led pick-ups in the MSD dizzee about a month back as on of the wires was shredded and the cars been fine for about a month after.

I have no clue where to start. I thought it was the lifter causing the misfire. The cap, rotor, wires and plugs are all pretty much new. (i got them 3-4 months ago)

What should i look at??? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

nope..the dizzee is in right - spout facing cyl 1 at tdc

this misfire developed before i started the work on the car. The car ran fine for months and then the lifter started making noise and soon after -couple miles later- the misfire began

with the car reassembled and new plugs wires rotor and cap its still the identical misfire i had prior to tearing into it

i have no idea as for the grounds but i really dont see a reason for them to all of a sudden go out of whack and cause such a major misfire...

the coil is about 2-2.5 years old

could the coil be causing such a misfire? it doesnt feel like a single plug is down it feels as if half the cyls are missing...the car was barely drivable...i was debating on towing, although at idle its not so bad, it idles fine and you can barely notice the misfire but it is there

ill try to reach a couple of my buddies to see if anyone has one laying around or if i can just use theirs to see if it works...

ill keep you guys posted.

but no one is suspecting the dizzee?
(thats mainly what im afraid of - they are pretty pricey!!!)

dizzy

when you said spout facing cylinder 1?you do mean rotor pointing at number 1 on cap ? yes ,,,,also as hission50 would say,,pull codes ,do a cbt test, and since you did lifters,check compression,,,that should point you into a direction of problem,,,good luck

the car is actually at a local performance shop and they will run all test and get to it in the morning.

Im very ill equiped so i couldnt run these tests and get to it myself.
I will post as soon as i speak to them and see what they come up with.

Thanks guys !!!

just a thought

back around november,thier was a guy asking for help,his tread was 7 months and car still not right.....i jumped into it at the end,he wasnt getting anywhere...i suggested for him to stop and start from step 1.set timing..his base idle was not set before setting timing,,he too had a misfire,,,..........good luck

well no need to worry about the misfire anymore, gotta start worrying how im gonna make the $$$ to buy a new rotating assembly

all the electronics checked out ok. Cylinders 1,2,3,4,5 and 8 help 165-180psi, cylinders 5 and 6 held 10 & 12 psi.

well now thats something to really :bang::bang::bang: my head about

wow, im really really put down right now
anyone know a cheap route to getting a new rotating assembly in there?
(im afraid of junk motors so im gonna have to leave that out, not an option)

****im assuming burnt valves wouldnt be the culprit here hence such low pressure

bummer

hey ..that bites...but its not bad,,,you can pull the head and have fixed...when you said it made ticking noises after changing parts it didnt sound promising...as to the other guys problem ,he just didnt follow the basics and hes is ok now,his idle was to high when they set base timing ,his timing was just off.my 03 cobra just blew a valve back in the summer..it really was alot cheaper than i thought to fix,,and i did ask on stangnet about repair vs new...repair if you can. my compression are close to yours and i got 225k on engine..

hotcobra03 i do NOT think its a valve, im almost certain its a hole in the piston or just shot rings
YOU HAVE 225K on a 03 cobra?????!!!

in either case the block has to come out and i think im just going to buy a rebuilt 302 (331's n 347's are expensive) and just drop it in n swap the top end over.

Anyone know a good place to get a nice fresh 302 (or anything else thats "fairly" priced)????

hotcobra03 i do NOT think its a valve, im almost certain its a hole in the piston or just shot rings and hence the oil puddling up in my intake n fouling plugs last month
btw YOU HAVE 225K on a 03 cobra?????!!!

in either case the block has to come out and i think im just going to buy a rebuilt 302 (331's n 347's are expensive) and just drop it in n swap the top end over.

Anyone know a good place to get a nice fresh 302 (or anything else thats "fairly" priced)????

when mine was dead

not sure if you can see it ,but cyl 6 has 2 half moon shaped valve indentions on it...cyls 6,7,8 had got hit on all intake valves because of machine shop mistake,funny thing here ,,,my first sign that valve blew was oil in the throttle body?????????pouring out after running