Need answers quick! Nitto 555R 315s water box or no?

GDawg

Founding Member
Mar 22, 2002
Nevada
I'm getting ready to go to the track in a couple hours. I have new Nitto tires on my car. NT555 245/45R17s on the front (9" wheel) and...

NT555R 315/35R17s on the rear 10-1/2" wheel.

Should I run them through the water box? Or do a quick non-water box burn out to clean them off?

• Sponsors (?)

I normally do with my 275/40-17 555Rs. Not a all out burnout in the box, just spin them over and get a little water on them. Ease out of the water and THEN do your burnout.

Start at around 25 psi with them, and ease down as needed. I've never had to go less than 20 psi on mine. In the summer when it's really hot, or when I have a nicely prepped track, I don't let any air out of them, and run them around 32 psi.

One thing. You HAVE to get them hot for them to stick. A little, 3 second long, 1st gear burnout is NOT going to cut it. I do 2nd gear burnouts in my stock rear geared auto, which translates to about 65-75 mph burnouts, normally for about 4-6 seconds. Be sure to get a decent amount of smoke off of them. If you don't, I can almost guarantee that they won't hook.

Skip to 1:37 of this video to see what my burnouts typically look like.