Need Help. ASAP

rodrir2

Apr 15, 2006
I have read all the search results and the only thread that was like mine nobody had a reply to.
I have a 306 D.S.S block with all the goodies but as I was driving it yesterday it developed a knock. This knock only happenes at idle. It runs fine above idle and has no knock. The knock is pretty noticeable at idle but not at speed. It has 80 Psi of oil pressure at all times including idle. What could this be? I took the top end of the engine off and don't see anything like a broken spring or rocker arm. So what could this be?

• Sponsors (?)

how bad is the knock? do you have a mechanics stethoscope? how does your oil look when you last changed it...we need some more info here-oh, welcome to stangnet, sorry to see your first posts are for knocking engine noise, but welcome all the same!

Oil looked good. The knock is coming from the bottom end. I think maybe a wrist pin? What are your opinions? I am really hoping it is something else. Just installed a Tremec TKO Tranny and removed the flywheel. Could that be a feasible thing to check?

I mean the tranny swap was a pain because I did it with a Lakewood scattershield instead of a normal bellhousing but it had never made that noise before. I just hope my new block isn't hurt.