need help asap

hotcobra03

Nov 29, 1999
poteet,tx
just got done installing a new driverside head..

as car sits it runs fine,but when you drive it it feels off,,

when you accelerate it sounds weird thru exhaust and has a lack of power..

i drove for 100 miles and no cel to work with....

car did sit for 3 months with empty fuel tank,,,

i was suggested to check cam timing from another site,,,

i did a vac test..21in at idle

did compression test
bank 1 was 190 across

bank 2 was 205 across

timing acording to predator is 18deg at idle

• Sponsors (?)

Do you have pictures of the timng chains?

What happens if the cam sensor is disconnect? Does this improve the how the it runs?

The difference between 190 and 205 doesn't seem like it should make any real difference.

help

Do you have pictures of the timng chains?

What happens if the cam sensor is disconnect? Does this improve the how the it runs?

The difference between 190 and 205 doesn't seem like it should make any real difference.

ok i pulled covers to check timing...with bottom pulley at tdc..

passenger side looks dead on 11//drivers side just past 12 but closer to the 1...

the bump for cam sensor in on the sensor but not centered,and all 4 notches for cams are facing straight up...to the head

to me it looks fine..being an interferance motor will 1 tooth off work without damage?

if this is ok ill button it back up and try unhooking cam sensor

Awful hard to find a wire just by it's color. Do you have a connector location and/or a pin number?

When you timed the motor, did you fold the chain in half and mark the end links?

help

1st ive only used my multimeter for checking volts so i might need a class on reading the results,,

i used connector 133 tested pin 18 for gy/rd to pin 1 on connector 180 ..got reading of 0.358

than checked pin 18 to tps and got 0.00 0n reading

than i checked pin 1 at connector 180 on outside by probing into wire,,,got 0.00

with sensor out checked ohms got 358 or .358 depending on setting..these numbers did change by morning to .350

tested both pins for power,,with koeo 0.6 volts on each

tested both wires with engine running ...volt meter set to ac volt...got .33 to .38 which test said it should go from .3 to 1.0 volt

when i did head i only removed the head and left chain on ,,,i did turn engine over till marks came back,first the marks i had on bottom ( used black )than the copper came up and all looked ok before putting cover back on...than as stated i pulled valve covers to double check..
2003 PCED OBD SECTION 5: Pinpoint Tests
Procedure revision date: 08/19/2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR: Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor DR: Introduction

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR1 DTC P0340, P0345: CHECK IF ENGINE WILL START
Attempt to start engine.
Will the engine start?
Yes No
GO to DR2 . DTC P0340 or P0345 is not the cause of the No Start. GO to Section 3 to diagnose the No Start symptom.

DR2 CHECK CMP SIGNAL SENT TO PCM
Engine running.
Connect scan tool.
Select CMPFM and if present CMPFM2 PID(s).
Is a fault indicated with either or both CMP sensors?
Yes No
Individually diagnose CMP sensor(s) indicating a fault. GO to DR3 . CMP, PCM and harness(es) working properly at this time. Concern is intermittent. GO to Z1 .

DR3 CLEAR AND ATTEMPT TO RE-GENERATE CONTINUOUS DTC P0340, P0345
Complete PCM Reset to clear DTCs.
Increase RPM to greater than 1500 for 10 seconds. Repeat twice.
Retrieve all Continuous Memory DTCs.
Is DTC P0340 or P0345 present?
Yes No
Key OFF. GO to DR4 . The fault that produced DTC P0340 or P0345 is intermittent. GO to Z1 .

DR4 DETERMINE CMP SENSOR PHYSICAL TYPE
Is the CMP sensor a drop-in (synchronizer) type?
Yes No
GO to DR5 . GO to DR6 .

DR5 VERIFY CORRECT INSTALLATION OF CMP SENSOR
A CMP sensor identifies the cylinder #1 power stroke. A sensor that is improperly installed/indexed can identify the wrong cylinder as #1, produce a tip-in hesitation and generate DTC P0340. VERIFY the correct installation by referring to Electronic Engine Controls, Section 303-14 in the Workshop Manual.
Note: If the vehicle has a miss and DTC P0340, possible ignition, alternator noise, RFI, and CKP concerns may be present.

Is the CMP sensor installed correctly?
Yes No
GO to DR6 . REPOSITION CMP sensor.

DR6 DETERMINE CMP SENSOR ELECTRONIC TYPE
Note: VR (Variable Reluctance) sensors have 2-wire connectors, Hall Effect sensors have 3-wire connectors.

Is the CMP sensor a VR type?
Yes No
Key OFF. GO to DR7 . CMP sensor is Hall Effect type. Key OFF. GO to DR13 .

DR7 CHECK CMP SENSOR RESISTANCE
Disconnect CMP sensor.
Measure resistance of CMP sensor between CMP and SIG RTN.
Note: CMP sensor resistance values change significantly with temperature rise.

Is resistance between 250 and 1K ohms?
Yes No
GO to DR8 . REPLACE CMP sensor.

DR8 CHECK CMP CIRCUIT FOR SHORT TO POWER IN HARNESS
Disconnect PCM.
Key ON, engine OFF.
Measure voltage between CMP circuit (at PCM or CMP harness connector) and battery (-) terminal.
Is voltage less than 1.0V DC?
Yes No
Key OFF. GO to DR9 . REPAIR short circuit.

DR9 CHECK FOR OPEN IN HARNESS BETWEEN PCM AND CMP SENSOR
Note: Refer to the PCM connector pin numbers in the beginning of this pinpoint test.

VR type sensors are susceptible to electrical interference (noise). Harness shielding, where present, should be reinstalled properly when removed for testing.

Measure resistance of CMP circuit between PCM harness connector and CMP sensor harness connector.
Measure resistance of SIG RTN circuit between PCM harness connector and CMP sensor harness connector.
Are resistance measurements less than 5.0 ohms for each wire?
Yes No
GO to DR10 . REPAIR open circuit.

DR10 CHECK FOR SHORT IN HARNESS BETWEEN PCM AND CMP SENSOR
Measure resistance between CMP and SIG RTN circuit (at either PCM or CMP harness connector).
Measure resistance between CMP circuit and battery (-) terminal.
Measure resistance between SIG RTN circuit and battery (-) terminal.
Is resistance(s) less than 10K ohms on any measurement?
Yes No
REPAIR short circuit. GO to DR11 .

DR11 CHECK FOR SHORTS IN PCM
Reconnect PCM.
Measure resistance between CMP and SIG RTN circuits at the CMP harness connector.
Is resistance(s) greater than 500 ohms?
Yes No
GO to DR12 . REPLACE PCM (refer to Section 2, Flash Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM) .

DR12 CHECK CMP SENSOR OUTPUT
Reconnect CMP sensor.
Digital multimeter on low voltage AC scale.
Measure voltage between CMP and SIG RTN circuit while running engine at approximately 2500 RPM.
Is voltage greater than 0.25V AC?
Yes No
REPLACE PCM (refer to Section 2, Flash Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM) . REPLACE CMP sensor.

DR13 CHECK VPWR VOLTAGE TO CMP SENSOR
Disconnect CMP sensor.
Key ON, engine OFF.
Measure VPWR circuit voltage between CMP sensor harness connector and battery (-) terminal.
Is voltage greater than 10.5V DC?
Yes No
Key OFF. GO to DR14 . REPAIR open circuit.

DR14 CHECK PWR GND VOLTAGE TO CMP SENSOR
Measure PWR GND circuit voltage between CMP sensor harness connector and battery (+) terminal.
Is voltage greater than 10.5V DC?
Yes No
GO to DR15 . REPAIR open circuit.

DR15 CHECK CMP CIRCUIT FOR SHORT TO POWER IN HARNESS
Disconnect PCM.
Key ON, engine OFF.
Measure voltage between CMP circuit (at PCM or CMP harness connector) and ground.
Is voltage less than 1.0V DC?
Yes No
Key OFF. GO to DR16 . REPAIR short circuit.

DR16 CHECK FOR OPEN CIRCUITS BETWEEN PCM AND CMP SENSOR
Note: Refer to the PCM connector pin numbers in the beginning of this pinpoint test.

Disconnect PCM and CMP sensor.
Measure resistance of CMP, VPWR and PWR GND circuits between PCM harness connector and CMP sensor harness connector.
Are resistance measurements less than 5.0 ohms for each wire?
Yes No
GO to DR17 . REPAIR open circuit.

DR17 CHECK CMP CIRCUIT FOR SHORT TO GND IN HARNESS
Measure resistance between CMP and PWR GND circuits (at either PCM or CMP harness connector).
Is resistance(s) greater than 10K ohms?
Yes No
GO to DR18 . REPAIR short circuit.

DR18 CHECK FOR SHORTS IN PCM
Measure resistance between CMP circuit and both the VPWR and PWR GND circuits at the CMP harness connector.
Is resistance(s) greater than 500 ohms?
Yes No
GO to DR19 . REPLACE PCM (refer to Section 2, Flash Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM) .

DR19 CHECK CMP SENSOR OUTPUT DURING CRANK MODE
Reconnect CMP sensor.
Note: On vehicles equipped with 150 pin PCMs and PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System), RECONNECT the Transmission (T) and Body (B) PCM connectors ONLY if disconnected. The engine may not crank unless they are connected. Keep the Engine (E) connector disconnected.

Digital multimeter on 12V DC scale.
Connect digital multimeter between CMP and the PWR GND circuit at the PCM Harness Connector.
Crank engine for at least 10 revolutions.
Does voltage reading switch between low (less than 2.0V DC) and high (greater than 8.0V DC)?
Yes No
REPLACE PCM (refer to Section 2, Flash Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM) . REPLACE CMP sensor.

i drove for 200 miles and still have no cel....car still feels off,,,i did feel a jerking while accelerating at times 'when driving easy

it never stalled or showed signs of a drivability problems other than jerk

update

well after 7months of driving the problem finally showed face...

it was a coil problem....(found a member with a set to use for testing first)

used tousley ford for ford racing 4v coil set..$225 shipped to door

car now has 298k ,during the 20k it never gave an engine lite for miss fire...i did have a front o2 go out and a rear o2 which did give codes and made driveability issuses that were noticable even with the jerk from coils