Need HELP ASAP!!!!!

ok so i have a thread on here for a clutch cable to get information so i decided today to change the cable (easy job) but my MAJOR ISSUE I have is that the car still won't shift while it is running... I turn the car off and I can go through all of the gears fine.. But as soon as I turn the car on the shifter is stuck in what ever position it was in just before the car got started.. I need to figure this problem out by Monday morning so I can get to my teaching job.. PLease any help would be appreciated.. If you definitely know the issue and the solution feel free to call my cell.. 860-391-5580 please help!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

If you are using the OE quadrant still, did you engage the self-adjusting mechanism?

Go into the car. Use the toe of your foot and pull upward on the clutch pedal. Use a fair amount of force. Pull it up as far as it will go. Release the pedal and cycle it a couple of times.

Re-test the shift action and get back to us...

Did you install the cable correctly down at the transmission?

How much free play is there in the pedal? Does it feel like the clutch is being worked?

How is the pedal effort compared to before the change?

Did you route the new cable as the old cable was routed?

The reason it works when the engine is off is because with the engine running the clutch is dragging -- not releasing fully -- even with the pedal on the floor and so the gears and syncros are loaded too.

Can you get under the car and observe the release arm movement as a buddy cycles the clutch pedal? Look for lost motion, especially movement of the cable sheath down by the release arm...