Need Help Diagnosing Wailing

Mr. Hawver

Feb 27, 2006
Hello all,

I have a wailing coming from the back of the engine/bellhousing/tranny area. Before you say it, it isn't the throw out bearing, as I have disconnected the clutch cable so the TOB isn't touching the pressure plate, because that is what I initially thought too.

It all started when I was stuck in stop and go traffic for about an hour and a half (stupid semi turned over on the interstate, traveled about 3 miles in that time).

- The TOB and input bearing were recently replaced (less than 3,000 miles ago)

- The noise starts at idle and gets louder with higher engine RPM, but doesn't really change tone

- It is there in every gear and in neutral

- It seems to quiet down with load (accelerating from a stop, going up a hill) and is noticeably louder/angrier when downshifting or coasting down while still in gear

So, what says the hive mind? I'm thinking bad input shaft bearing, but I am really hoping otherwise. Thanks a lot!

• Sponsors (?)

My cousin had an issue similar to this. He pulled his engine apart to re-ring it. As soon as he started it, it made the most god-awful dry bearing sound you can imagine. It got louder with rpm, only seemed to stop when he would hammer it, or rev it up in neutral. We tried the same thing, down to actually yanking the tranny and running it without the TOB, clutch fork, etc...

Turned out to be his PCV valve. :rlaugh: He had put a new one in when he put it back together, and there was something funky with it. Switched it out and he was good to go.

Just a thought, good luck!
Scott

FYI, I talked to my cousin last night. He said that he tried two different PCV valves, and finally just put a breather in that and capped the hose from the valve cover. He said that it only made the noise when it got warmed up, and he just yanked the valve up out of the grommet and it stopped instantly.

Sorry for the change in plans, but that's what worked for him.

Also, have you checked the oil to make sure you don't have any shavings, etc... in it? I know he changed his twice to make sure there wasn't anything going on with the bearings before he figured out what was causing his wail.

Again, good luck with it.
Scott