need help dropping the tank

Torinalth

Founding Member
Jul 16, 2002
Clayton NC
i'm pulling it down to replace the pump, filter, clean it out, and all that jazz... everything else is disconnected, but i cant figure out how to remove the filler pipe. it is secured in two places it seems, one under the fuel door(removed those screws) and once between that place and the body... the issue is that i cant get to the screws from the bottom, nor the top (from what i have been able to see). any thoughts? this is the last step before i can remove the straps and lower the tank.

Torinalth

• Sponsors (?)

ok, got passed that part, bolts were in the trunk... shoulda figured that..

anyhow, i am having a time of it getting the duck bill connection off the main line leaving the pump... i just cant get it off... i have the ampro tool and it goes into the housing... but i cant get the connection to back off the main line. suggestions?

Torinalth

ok, i have the tank down, but have a new issue.. the hayens manual is crap for fuel anything BTW. so... i have the tank down but am having issues with the pump.. it mentions bolts in the manual, so there is only one piece that has bolts, i unbolt the plate, but cant seem to figure how to remove the unit underneath. there is also another unit on the raised portion of the tank but it does not have any bolts... but it does have two tubes and another smaller unit next to it... not be able to figure out how to pry them loose (tank is not fully downm, just enough to gain access).

the pump is in the center where the lil plate is bolted down right?

torinalth

ok, sorry for the massive amount of posts... but i got the pump unit out, but the GT 40 unit i have looks very different... do i need to completely diss assemble the the housing? just dont want to break anything unless i haev to admit defeat and put it bac the way it was till i get more information.

Torinalth

You should get a new sending unit...

just replacing the pump might not fix it, what happens to a lot of these returnless style pumps is the screens inside at the bottom become clogged and damaged.. because of this I highly recomend a new sending unit, I hate to see you have the same problems again in 5k miles.

Torinalth said:
sending unit is the whole unit thats there in the tank right? the pump just slids into it.. but the entire brown cylinder is what you are taking about? or something else?

Torinalth

hold on I just reread this.. you have the whole sending unit from a ford GT? am I right.. so what are you tring to do remove the pump from the ford GT unit and install it in your original sending unit? If so I would not do that. use the whole sending unit from the GT.