need help! electric fan install gone wrong - car won't start

90lxfoxbody

Jan 11, 2006
ok, for my daily f**k up. i installed a new black magic electric fan #175 for my 5.0. i followed the instructions to the nines. made one mistake - forgot to put my drive belt back on. car ran for a minute or so then i heard a loud electrical popping noise and saw some grey smoke from under the dash area. i had a manual switch wired in per the instructions - the wire leading from the fuse box to the lead was melted. not sure if the grey smoke came from under the dash - or from the wire to the switch from the fuse box or the switch itself. i thought maybe i threw the starter solenoid so i bought a new one. didn't work. horn works, etc etc but the radio won't work and none of the instrument gauges register. when i turn the switch i get nothing. any ideas? any help would be most appreciated. i need to be at work early in the a.m. i checked all my fuses and they are good. i unwired the manual switch. checked and rechecked everything. when i turn the switch still nothing and the started won't turn over. if anyone else has had this problem please let me know what you did. thanks.

• Sponsors (?)