need help fast!!! in the middle of pulling my engine

88stangmangt

Nov 25, 2003
Stafford,VA
what is easier pulling the engine with the trans bolted up to it? or unbolting it and just pulling the block? my dad get's pist and says unbolt it from the trans but they are so damn hard to get to and i have the cherr picker so wtf???? what do you guys think?

• Sponsors (?)

if shouldn't give you too much problems getting it out as a complete unit, however if its giving you trouble, you can pull it. is it stick or auto?? if its 5 speed, just unbolt the trans from the bellhousing and pull the block with the bellhousing on.

Yea im kinda in the same boat as him but not in a hurry, first time pulling an engine andwhat all needs to be takin off. so far i did the basics, exhaust, battery cables, starter, radiator, air filter box stuff and tube, plugs and wires, What else??? like intake manifold, alternator power steering pump??????? i plan on taking the manual trans out first. plus is there any other way of pulling the engine without a picker in my garage?

sorry bout so many questions but wanna do it right. thanks in advance

I've pulled my motor 3 times, and all 3 times I've pulled it with the Trans still bolted to the motor. I've never ran into any problems but I've had 2 other ppl help me pull and install it also.

if you have a 5-speed and are having trouble getting them to come out together, you might have made the same bonehead mistake I made, take out the shifter handle so it won't get hung up on the floorboard.

Also, I have seen a few cars that needed really extreme tilting of the engine to get both out.

well it is a manual and i have decided to leave the tranny in. and undo the bolts that connect the tranny to the bell houseing does that end only have 4? thats all i see and i got 3 of them so far. the top driver side bolt has a wire infront of it and a screw out plug maybe the drain? has anyone done it this way? i want the whole bell houseing to come out with the engine so i can re-place the clutch easy.

yeah disconnecting the tranny doesnt take long, six bolts plus the 2 holding the flex plate at the bottom and the engine pulls right out. if your disconnecting the trans it will be a pain without removing the upper intake.

88stangmangt said:
what is easier pulling the engine with the trans bolted up to it? or unbolting it and just pulling the block? my dad get's pist and says unbolt it from the trans but they are so damn hard to get to and i have the cherr picker so wtf???? what do you guys think?

Overall to me it is easier to pull the engine by itself. Only 6 trans bolts and 4 flexplate bolts for me. I have auto trans cars, and it is easier to leave the cooler lines, driveshaft, shift linkage, speedo cable, and wiring in place. Yes you have to support the trans with the engine out. It is also a pain to unbolt the converter from the flexplate with the engine out of the car or on a hoist in the air. Stick shift you do have to unbolt and support the bellhousing, but I still think it is easier. When you go back in , you will appreciate a few less bolts to put back in.

Also, it is much harder to tilt and jockey the engine and trans back in together. Done it both ways, prefer to separate them first.

Why dont you just yank the whole thing. Ive done it 4 times as a unit. Its easy.
Sometimes its easier to jack to front end up and unbolt everthing...hook it up to your lift and then let it down on the jack easy. This will let your tranny go down more to make it easier to haul out.