Need help finding Fuel Pump for early 260 V8

outlaw66

Apr 1, 2005
Flowood, Ms
Friend of mine has 1 (he 2nd) owner 64 Fairlane with a 260. Fuel pump needs to be replaced...canister type. All replacements provided by AutoZone, Napa and O'Reilly have incorrect "pump arm" and will not fit the engine, even though their parts search shows their replacement to fit 64 model 260's. The pump being replaced is actually an AC pump, P/N 6838G 4(?) or L (?), so we assume the pump has been replaced before. Anyone got any ideas on a replacement pump? The pump arm on the AC pump has a slight bend compared to the "replacements" which all have had a sharp abrupt bend, difinitely a different arm....Any thoughts, ideas, sources appreciated.

Outlaw66:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Carter used to make the old stlye

I bought one for my 64 1/2 convert with 260 not that long ago and it came from oreilly's. I do remember it required looking it up in the book by application and messing around with a few part numbers but they pulled one out of the hat. If you strike out go back and look for a new parts dumbie. I sold parts for years and not all parts dumbies are created equal. I bought a canister type pump for my 390 not mre than 3 months ago as well. I really think they should be still available. Just my HMO your results may vary.

good luck finding one they no longer remanufactor those pumps. The ones they sell are for big blocks. They will work with some small blocks but the extend below the fram because of a modified center section. I actually purchased a rebuild kit for a carter, don;t remember which one and just rebuilt mine.

thanks guys, i have sent pics to dearbornclassics to see if they have something available. owner did not want to go to an electric pump if at all possible. never considered the pump may not be built any longer...bummer. may have to look into the overhaul kit idea. thanks again for the input.

swapping arms is certainly on of our remaining good options. No feedback from dearbornclassics as of yet, hoping they'll pull the rabbit out of the hat.

And I think Lman is grinning over all the "disturbing avatar" posts.............from ear to ear.......

Outlaw