need help finding weird tool

aparker813

Aug 30, 2005
tryin to test my egr valve and according to haynes the way to do so is apply vacuum to it and see if it holds or not...so what is the name of the tool the can apply hg's of vacuum and where do i find it? would autozone possibly rent them?

• Sponsors (?)

there are 2 things you can do
1) purchase a "Mity-Vac"; most parts stores have them and they will pull a vacuum and have a guage attahed. I know Sears has them and they are also awesome for brake bleeding and for diagnosing other engine problems (based on the type of vacuum your motor pulls)

2) seal your lips around the end of the hose (no comments) and try and take a breath through the hose. If you can breathe through the hose, then it won't hold a vacuum. This method will not detect small leaks, the only way to test for small leaks is to use a vacuum pump like the "Mity Vac".. they're $20-30

cobra1923 said:
there are 2 things you can do
1) purchase a "Mity-Vac"; most parts stores have them and they will pull a vacuum and have a guage attahed. I know Sears has them and they are also awesome for brake bleeding and for diagnosing other engine problems (based on the type of vacuum your motor pulls)

2) seal your lips around the end of the hose (no comments) and try and take a breath through the hose. If you can breathe through the hose, then it won't hold a vacuum. This method will not detect small leaks, the only way to test for small leaks is to use a vacuum pump like the "Mity Vac".. they're $20-30

Yup, they work pretty slick and have lots of uses.