Need help for tomorrow

alludethis

Sep 5, 2006
Ok probably dumb questions but I need to ask them anyway, because I searched and couldnt find what I wanted. I had a nice grinding sound the other day when I tried to start the 5.0 so Im thinkings it probably the rotor and cap, or unfortanetly the starter. Im going the cheaper route for now and installing the cap and rotor. My question is, how do I go about installing it to make sure its done right. If someone can give me some instructions on how to do it I'd greatly appreciate it. Also, there's a loud tapping sound coming from the passenger side and it sounds like its coming from the valves. The guy who sold it to me said he thinks maybe its the smog pump??? I'm also hoping that changing out this cap and rotor will help with some of the smoking. Also, when I set the timing on the car, do I use the flat piece to adjust to or do I use the part that has the hole in it? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

James

• Sponsors (?)

James, I use the flat spot on the timing pointer.

A cap and rotor are good to swap, but they generally dont fail in a way that creates noise. You pop the two side clips off and swap the wires from the old cap (one at a time to avoid cross-wiring) to the new cap. The pull up on the rotor and it comes off. Install new rotor (it's keyed so it only goes on one way)..

If you remove the accessory belt, you can spin the pulleys, including the Smog pump's, to see if it makes noise.

The tapping can also be a header leak.

Good luck.