Need Help Getting Rear Shock Off -- URGENT.

Hey guys,

It's been awhile. What's been up? Anyway, I'm trying to change the rear shocks on my 88 Vert beater and I need to get back up to school sometime tonight. I cannot for the life of me hold onto the stock shock and get the top nut loose. I've soaked it in pb blaster all day and the vice-grips I have just can't hold it. My hands are killing me. Does anyone know how to get these off w/o air tools? Can I hacksaw through the metal rod part at the top? I did these on my 89 like a year ago and didnt have NEAR as much trouble.

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

If you can't hold the threaded portion, I dont know what to do other than take it to a friend with air, loosen it, hand tighten it, and then go home and swap it out.

When you put your wrench on the nut, have you been hitting the wrench with your fist (vs just pushing)? Sometimes the shocking movement of the fist breaks the nut loose.

Assuming you don need the old shock....

You can grip any part with vice grips as hard as needed.

You can cut or grind down the stud part to a better flat to put vice grips on.

Or grind the top of the stud down to the nut and drill out the center stud.

Or drill holes in the nut until it comes apart.

How to split a nut...

Get out your 1/8" drill bit and drill two holes side by side on the flat part of the nut in line with the stud. If you are careful, you will drill the nut and never damage the stud.
Next use a cold chisel to split the nut at the flat where you drilled the two holes.

53078d1199741873-well-time-i-really-f-up-nut-splitter.gif

Another tip, for now and when you put the shock in....make sure the threads on the top of the rod is clean....when I put my new strange 10 ways in there was some black paint on the threads and I had gotten the nut on almost fully but not enough to get a grip on the top to hold...and it jammed up and couldn't get anything back off or on. I barely just got it on....cleaned the threads on the new one and it went on perfect.....did it all with the wheels on too.

Just grab ahold of that rod and take the nut off.