Need Help Installing Spider Gears

Discussion in '1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-' started by ColbyRoss, Nov 9, 2013.

1. ColbyRoss

ColbyRoss New Member

Hi, I have a 1995 Mustang GT. So I bent my rear right axle a few weeks back and just now got the opportunity to replace it. So I put in the new one, and in the process of putting the c-clip in I accidentally made both of the spider gears fall out. I've been trying for the past few hours, with the help of guides I found online to try and get them back in, but for the life of me I can not get these things in!

Here's what I have right now:

[​IMG]

And here are the two spider gears which I am trying to get in:

[​IMG]

I've tried doing this all by myself, and with the help of the online community, but as I said before, I just cannot get this done. Could anyone give me some pointers?

2. 84Ttop

84Ttop They make new pistons every day, so why worry? SN Certified Technician Mod Dude

For starters I would take both c clips and axles out and pull the center spring. I feel your pain. Not a fun task you have there.

3. MFE92

MFE92 Active Member

You have to kind of stick them in place on opposite sides of the diff, one in front, one in back, then engage the drivers side axle and turn it to walk the gears into place. It's easier with a helper so you can hold the gears while the helper turns the axle, but it's possible to do it yourself. If they won't go in at all because they bind, you need to take some thickness out of the clutch pack shims. If the shiny part pops off, before the gear lands in position, stick it back in place with some superglue and try again.

4. srtthis

srtthis the guy doing it does every local racers rear end

id take the time to re pack the clutches while its out and over pack them if you plan to race the car.

also its much easier to do on a work bench. so id pull the caps off and keep everything split up side to side on how it came apart. i always use a brass punch and a hammer to get the spider gears in place after i over pack them since the turn in method MFE mentioned doesnt really work to well at that point