Need help on front end noise

BJBethel

Founding Member
Jun 17, 2000
Dayton, Ohio
I'm an absolute dummy on chassis, so here it goes:

My front end squeaks like hell whenever I turn the steering wheel. I can't tell where it's coming from, but does it whether I'm sitting still or moving and when I'm turning left and right. It doesn't feel like anything is catching when I turn the wheel. Any suggestions on where to start?

• Sponsors (?)

Grease all joints in the front end first. I had a similiar noise years ago when I first got my car. Turned out to be the front sway bar mounting bushings. I had to nearly remove the sway bar to get grease within the bushings. It hasn't come back in 6 years.

I would say check your rack bushings if it does it when turning the wheel. If you bump the wheel back and forth quickly and it squeaks it may be the bushings. They deteriate from messy oil changes where the oil leaks from oil filter removal. Just slide under your car and move the steering shaft up and down by hand and see if the rack moves. It is easy to replace the bushings and cheap too. Hope this helps.

I had squeeks, groans, and clunking, and it was extremely embarrassing. I had what looked like a leak in my steering rack, so I replaced that and I still had squeeks. Next I replaced the tie rod ends, and I still had squeeks. Next I replaced the ball joints, and that was the problem....no squeeks left now. The good thing is that ball joints and tie rod ends are only about $30 each.