Need Help On Potential Purchase

Vettn71

Advanced Member
Jan 3, 2014
I'm looking at a couple 1996/1997 Mustang Gt's. I've been a 5.0 guy, so I'm not familiar with the mod motor. What smog equipment was standard? I have a guy telling me the 96 did not have a smog pump. Is this correct? I'm in a smog state, so it has to pass the visual, as well as the OBD2

TIA

Jim

• Sponsors (?)

There is no smog pump on the mod motor mustangs. They do have EGR setups and should have cats to pass a visual.

If the cats have been removed without a tune or MIL elims (they don't always work) then It will trip the check engine light.

That is exactly the information I needed. It does have an EGR valve, but I might need to get the tubing to hook it up for the visual. I've been to sites that say teh smaog pump is in the fender well, but is that only for the 4V?

Thanks again

Jim

No smog. they have vapor control stuff (evap canister) for the fuel tank vapors and a purge valve but no smog pump. That comes in through the passenger side fenderwell area.

Does the car have aftermarket headers? IF it has an EGR hooked up but the tube going no where (and not tune to shut off) it will likely trip a CEL as the car will see it's not working as intended.

Great info. Yeah, the EGR is not connected to the header, so I probably need to find a tube or have one made. I appreciate the timely repones and the guidance.

Regards
Jim