Need help on Rim Backspacing.

Stangninjak

Apr 16, 2004
I have Torque Thrust D's on my car now, 65 Coupe, and while the front fit fine, the back sits out from the wheel well, and I have rubbing on my driver side. They do not "tuck" underneath, and I have no ideal why.

The rims were on the car when I started the restore project. They are 15x7 American racing. I measured my axle, and is 57.2 9inch rear. Now I saw on American Racing site that they have a 15x8.5 with a 24mm offset, and 3 3/4 backspacing.. will that rim tuck up underneath ? I suck at the whole fittting rims thing.

Thanx in advance for any help.

Edit: I have also gone to the chart that was listed here, but I see rims there with 4.8 BS and other no#'s. But yet I did not see any rims like that on the net.

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like you put too large of a rear housing in there. 65/6 mustangs are 52 ¼ flange to flange. If that is the case, then the stock 3.75 backspacing found on most TT d wheels when they are 15x7 would not be enough. Which means moving up to a 15x8.5 with the same backspacing will only worsen the problem

dodgestang said:
Sounds like you put too large of a rear housing in there. 65/6 mustangs are 52 ¼ flange to flange. If that is the case, then the stock 3.75 backspacing found on most TT d wheels when they are 15x7 would not be enough. Which means moving up to a 15x8.5 with the same backspacing will only worsen the problem

Uggg. I was afraid of that. The rear was on the car when I bought it. It seemed strange why the wheels seemed to stick out..Well I also think the posi is broken in it as well, so it may be an excuse to get another rear end..what backspacing could I get then ? 4 ? 4 1/2 ?

dodgestang said:
Is 57.2 measured flange to flange?
Yeah..I read a article on it.. I will re-measure when I get home..I may have mis measured it..

But even if I did, it still seems what you said is true..there is just way to much axle it seems back there

Ahh ok :) While looking at my rear, I notice some other things as well. I think its from a 67 or 66, also I got a case number..I am looking it up now..The one very dissapointing thing I found that I have no trac loc. I spun one side, and the other just sat there from neutral..it must be a open diff ? Well thats yet another thing I need to get..because its either broken, or I just do not have one :(