need help picking out C4 tranny

daddy oth

Mar 12, 2007
alright guys i need help picking out the right tranny for my '66 coupe it's between TCI or PA

here is what i've done the car:

MOTOR:
'92 block 306
edel.head
victor jr. intake
speed demon carb.650 cfm
frpp X cam
roller rocker comin' soon

Tranny?

REAREND:

Ford 9in. w/detroit locker or some kind of posi but came out off '69 428 scj and 31 spline axle.
gear 3:89 or 4:11 coming after the tranny.

• Sponsors (?)

I just went thru this

Be very carefull to specify you want the transmision case that is designed for our early model cars. Its clssified as a early ford small to intermediate size car tranny. Be specific....I wasn`t and waitied another 2 weeks after I got the first wrong transmision.

Neither. PATC is a lying bunch of idiots (stock parts in a 1000hp rebuild...riiiggght) and TCI doesn't seem to know the meaning of 'quality control' as their trans. have been going 'BOOM' lately and their convertors are trash and AFAIK have been for a while.

How bout broader performance?

well i don't really know about how the victor jr. will perform at low rpm due to bad tranny i can't tell everytime i give a full throttle all i can hear is the engine screaming but the car is not moving:mad:

the car will be a street/strip or more street:shrug:

Just had my stock C4 rebuilt locally in Ft. Worth for $550. The price included a new torque converter, your choice of stall, I went with a 2000 stall, beefed up valve bodies, beefed up clutches, transmission cooler and a shift kit. The shop said the build is probably good to about 400HP. Man it really made a difference and i was able to drop in on them to check on progress. My point is it is nice to have a reputable shop locally if you have problems instead of dealing with shipping and taking someones word over the phone.

I had my C4 rebuilt by a guy that's been around my family for awhile. He claims I'm gtg up to 600 ponies now. But then again...I'll may find out the hard way. Soon as I have the rest of the car setup to handle Dustin's turbo kit we shall see. I'm not gonna be launching real hard off the line but I will have some DR's in the back and no two step so the tranny may not last long.

Obviously goals and plans change all the time for cars as w/ anyone else. My way if I were to be choosing a new tranny would be figure out what kind of numbers I'm already putting out. Then aim for about 100hp higher for your tranny to handle. If you have plans to be adding any type of forced induction or upping the numbers then I would go w/ an even higher rated tranny just to be safe. Remember however, the higher you go w/ the tranny the less fun it will be driving on the street. When I say that I'm just thinking of your stall and torque converter. You get it too high such as above 3000 and you may find you don't like how it drives. Now on the track you'll love it....but stop light to stop light can be a PITA.

what is the different between LOCK-UP and NON- LOCK UP?:shrug:
Doesn't make a difference, they never put one in a C4.

Having talked with Broader Performance, seen their commitment to the hobby and just having checked out their price sheet, I'd go with them. $650 for a trans with the normal upgrades and $800 for a 500hp trans aint bad and they do mail order and a 1yr warranty.

Stay away from PA; they are a bunch of jerk; They sent me the wrong transmission. They sent my builder a SB C6 instead of a BB C6 while I was in Iraq. When I got back I drove 2 hours up to them and showed them my receipt for the BB C6. They said they'd swap it for the right one, but they'd have to build it. I get a call two hours later that the owner want $700 for the swap. I called a local guy who used to work for them. He charged me $150 and it came out way better. He told me the owner could't care less about the customer, it's all about the money. By the way PA is in a litle one bay shop. It sounds bigger than it is.

I'd look elsewhere.

thanks for all the reply it's been real educational about different companies so today i stop by a local tranny shop and talk to the guy and he said i will need around 2200 or 2400 stall on stock size covertor i was thinking around 3000 stall
it this too much?

does this sound right? what do guys recommend with my set up? keep in mine that the car will be a street/strip mostly strip.

oh he want $1500 for rebuild my old tranny

sorry for all the questions

I've got a 2800 stall in my C4 on a 350 hp 306. You should be alright. Anything above 3000 for a stall and it starts becoming unpleasant on the stree. $1500 seems damn expensive for a rebuilt C4. Hell you can get a built C4 that'll handle mass amounts of power for less than that. I'd look somewhere else.