Need Help Please!

SLEEPERstang21

Founding Member
Feb 15, 2002
Sunny California
I just bought a Pertronix ignitor electric ignition for my 67 stang. I accedentally took the wires off of the distributor cap when i installed the pertronix ignitor. After installing the item i searched for the firing order online and tried to run the engine, but i found the engine rumbling violently. Later i found out the firing order online was incorrect and then was corrected(Hopefully the wires are correct). Now the problem is....whenever i try to start the engine it wont start and spits out and burns a lot of fuel when trying. The carburater also makes funny noises. Now im thinking maybe theres something wrong with the fuel mixtures, for some reason. After a few times fiddling with the mixture screws i am left with still a non running engine, messed up air fuel mixture. Please need a lot of help..

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds to me like you've still got the firing order wrong. What engine do you have ? What terminal on the distributor did you plug the #1 wire into ? #1 should be at the 1 O'Clock position, most dist caps have the #1 position marked.

The cylinder numbering order is thus, right (passenger side)cylinder bank, from front to back : 1-2-3-4 . The left ( driver's side) bank is : 5-6-7-8. Could also be that the previous owner stabbed the dist with it a tooth or more off, if you still get the firing order correct on the cap and it still pops and backfires. In that case, rotate the crank till you get compression on #1 ( remove the spark plug and stick your finger in the hole to feel the pressure) when you start to feel the pressure, stop and rotate the crank by hand with a breaker bar and 15/16 socket till the timing pointer reaches 10 degrees BTDC on the damper ( you'll likely need to remove the paint and grime off it to read the marks, when this is done, you can use "white-out" to paint the marks) When you have the damper at 10 degrees BTDC look to see where the dist rotor is pointing to. If it's not at the #1 position, then the dist was stabbed wrong, either pull it and get it right, or just plug the #1 wire there and start the rest of the wires counterclockwise from it.

SLEEPERstang21 said:
can you go into more detain on how to rotate the crank?
Either bump the starter, or just turn the crank using a breaker bar and 15/16 socket on the center bolt inside the front pulley. As you face the rear of the car, turn it by pushing down on the drivers side ( that's clockwise facing the rear) If you want to test the ignition timing, set the timing pointer to 10 degrees BTDC and turn the ignition on ( don't start it though) and slowly rotate the dist back and forth while the #1 plug wire's loose with a phillips head screw driver stuck in the loose end and grounded. Watch for the spark , when it sparks, stop turning the dist immediately, at that point it'll be timed perfectly on 10 BTDC

SLeeper, D is discribing it perfectly, you need to read it and follow exactly what he said. Your more than likely off a tooth or 2. Non of this is complicated don't confuse yourself by trying to blame the carb. Stick with the problem you caused.

SLEEPERstang21 said:
how would i noe when the pointer is set at 10 deg BTDC?
Take a wire brush and clean off the outer ring of the harmonic balancer, this is the thick metal part behind the crank pulley. At some point around it's circumference, there are some timing marks that stretch about 2 inches around the balancer. There will be marks as such : ATC IIII 0 IIII 10 IIII 20 IIII 30 BTDC. ( this is as close to what they look like as I can get ) You want to set the pointer ( it's sticking off the left side of the timing cover on your 289 ) to where it's aligned with the 10 degree BTDC mark

i cant seem to locate the pointer to set to 10 BTDC do u have a pic or something so i can locate the pointer?

Im sorry if these questions are very novice, i got the mustang just few months ago and not really familiar with all the engine terminologies and such and you guys have been very hlepful.