need help w/rr qtr fitment

68GEETEE

5 Year Member
Nov 21, 2003
Texas, USA
working on my 68 fastback, bought new rear quarters and in test fitting the right rear it is coming up about a half inch short of the decklid edge. It lines up perfect with the rear window lines, and we have a solid point of reference. I think these quarters were manufactured incorrectly. They are made in Taiwan, and I shopped hard looking for american made fastback quarters but was unable to find any. Has anyone run into this using aftermarket parts? What are my options?

Attachments

• img_0028.jpg
    img_0028.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 79
  • Sponsors (?)

Hi are they the dynacorn panels? They are also made in Taiwan,using Ford tooling. I had both replaced on my 67(you can look in garages section) as well as both doors,both fenders,both rockers(these were a problem) and the one piece cowl,tail panel,both valances. My project was pretty involved,so I had a body shop line it all up and weld it in. There was some manipulating that had to be done,as I remember. The body guy showed me how the slightest preasure here or there moved sections of the panel this way or that. 30+ years of experience and tools made the job quick and easy for him,and money well spent for me.

yes, they are the dynacorn quarters. Do you think maybe I should buy new quarter extenstions and a new decklid to see how they may line up? The body shop tech said he can fabricate if necessary but that is gonna cost more money. I want the car to be right.

Do you need new ones? If yours are still good,and the body shop is any good,they'll line it all up. I'm using a fiberglass shelby one with the matching end caps. What I did was I looked around for an original mustang trunk lid,since I didn't have one. Nobody was willing to take one off their car or none in decent shape(rust up here in Canada). I picked up a lid from an auto body supply shop(not Dynacorn). My body guy is good with store so we used it for a couple days and I returned it. Took my guy about 12 hrs to line it all up(both quarters,tail light panel and trunk lid) and weld it.I had it all machine screwed in place when he got it,and he did all the final fitting. If you have an original lid,i'd use it.They can make the quarters fit. Dynacorn are supposedly made using Ford tooling and original thickness. Just remember there was no real quality control in those days,so parts won't just fall into place.