Need Help... What The Best Differential Carrier?

Crazytrucker74

Nov 23, 2015
I have an 87 lx with a 5.0 that I'm planning on drag racing in street class. Getting ready to replace the stock ring and pinion with a 4.10 and 31 spline axles. Lmr.com has the full kit that comes with a Ford Racing differential, I'm just not sure that'll cut it.
1) I want to get as close to posi as I can but still want to drive it around town.
2) how long do the clutch packs last?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm using the ford girdle,31 spline diff and 3.73 ring and pinion. I've had no issues. This is 2nd one I've had on 2 separate cars. 1st one ran 12.00's on 5000rpm launches without a problem(except when I snapped an axle once).

Reactions: 1 user
I run a Ford Racing Cobra diff, with carbon clutches. I rebuild it every few years... and not because it's worn out.

cf556ac99aef451417b175543e3806d2.jpg

I think LMR uses the carbon diff in that kit. Honestly, unless you are at the track every weekend, or making gobs of power, the clutch packed diff will work just fine. I pulled an used 31 spline diff out of an explorer, for free, and bought the $110 carbon fiber rebuild kit. I have been rocking that thing for almost 4 years and probably have 60+ passes at the strip on it.

Joe

31-spline frpp trak-loc with carbon discs here as well. the diffs can handle quite a bit of power, and the discs will last a good long while. just be aware after a certain point you'll have to use a non-c-clip axle to stay nhra legal (either eliminators or 9-inch ends)